• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Buffing Walnut

I've recently started using the Beall system to buff out some of my turnings. I have just finished a commissioned salt and pepper mill in some highly figured black walnut. Having read on this and other forums warnings against using white diamond compound on black walnut, I was wondering if there is a suitable substitute that is compatable with dark open pore woods (using a seperate wheel of course)?
Thanks,
Richard

Burnishing the wood? No more required than a nice paper bag. It'll close the pores and slick things down pretty. Nice pig bristle brush on your wheel will do as well.

If you're trying to polish the finish, make sure you have a nice even coat and use regular rouge. Brush and mineral spirits will clean up the grease and grit left behind in the tough places.

Rottenstone is pretty good final abrasive, and it's light brown.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
On Walnut I just go from the Rouge straight to the wax and skip the White diamond. If I apply enough finish to fill the pores then I go through all the steps.

Don Pencil sells a buffing compound he calls "PL" compound. To me, it seems to sit somewhere between tripoli and white diamond in abrasiveness, but I've not had any problems using it on walnut. I use it alone, instead of the tripoli/white diamond routine.

Don Pencil sells a buffing compound he calls "PL" compound. To me, it seems to sit somewhere between tripoli and white diamond in abrasiveness, but I've not had any problems using it on walnut. I use it alone, instead of the tripoli/white diamond routine.

I picked up some of his PL in NM last year. Good product. He had some that had not formed correctly (read that nice and square) and had them discounted. Don't know if he sells the "seconds" on line or not.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
I have not tried it, but it seems to make sense to me. If you use a sanding sealer...a LOT of sanding sealer, so the pores of the wood are completely sealed and the surface is essentially very smooth, then white diamond should not be an issue. The problem (from my own experience) is when you try to use it on a surface that still has plenty of grain depth, and hasn't been filled in with sealer. When you try that, it leaves plenty of white particles in the grain.

Back