• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

buffing

i completed a walnut bowl with 3 coats of high gloss polyuteyhane that i wiped on. i hae a high gloww finish but figured i'd try buffing since that seems to be what you guys indicated to do. i buffed an area with just a little johnson paste wax, this actually seemed to dull the finish a litle, so I stopped buffing. is that expected or am i doing something wrong?
:confused:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Johnsons won't yield a high gloss finish and it is real thin. Typically you would buff with white diamond first then carnuba wax. The carnuba is what gives the higher gloss.

The risk here is if you buff to hard or too much, you will burn through the poly finish though because three coats of wipe on is not a very thick built up layer.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Sorry, Steve, but I can't agree with using the white diamond on walnut.

I wouldagree, but if properly coated, the white would not fill the pores.

As a side note, after the white diamond, use a toothbrush with a little water to clean out the dust from the crevices before waxing. I use a Crest spin brush and a spray bottle. Works real well for cleaning up.

As for coats of wipe on finish, I would say about 6 coats to start, if you are going to buff.

I wouldagree, but if properly coated, the white would not fill the pores.

As a side note, after the white diamond, use a toothbrush with a little water to clean out the dust from the crevices before waxing. I use a Crest spin brush and a spray bottle. Works real well for cleaning up.

As for coats of wipe on finish, I would say about 6 coats to start, if you are going to buff.

Thanks for this tip, Steve. I'll give it a try.

I went to Rockler yesterday to get some Carnuba Wax. All they had was a "butherblock" wax, mixture of mineral oil, carnuba and bees wax. Will this work well?

They said they normall have sticks of Carnuba but out of them. Is it best to use the stick and applyh to the buffing wheel or is there a Carnuba paste wax to apply directly to the piece?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Sorry, Steve, but I can't agree with using the white diamond on walnut.

What's your thoughts on this, Griesbach?

I have used it on walnut, very sparingly......seems to work ok.

I'm guessing that you've clogged some grain and pores of the wood with the WD.....am I correct? I have seen this before, and the white on dark wood shows up. If this is the case, you might even try not adding WD to your buffing wheel, but go with whatever residue is left over from that last time you used it.

ooc

Back