• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Burls

Is it better to let burls dry before turning or can they be turned green just like normal wood?

I have just gotten access to about a dozen elm burls the are 6-9 inches across, I just have to cut the trees down and clean up the mess.

Any suggestions?

You can turn burls just like any other wood. Rough turn them oversize and let them dry and finish turn them or turn them green to final shape and let them warp. Burls that size won't leave you with much once you get the bark off but I have no experience with Elm burls.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
Turn ‘em green - no problem! It’s difficult to judge how they’ll shrink/warp though. Some burl material is more stable than other depending on the grain pattern. I haven’t worked with Elm burl. Sounds like your are pretty small so be aware of any non-burl wood you may leave attached to the burl will have a different drying effect than the burl portion. You just have to do it and learn from the experience.

- Scott

I like to turn them green, but I don't usually rough turn them. I also have turned bone dry ones as well. I think set out for a few months is good to.

Back