Burls

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by Bruce Wallace, May 28, 2009.

1. Bruce Wallace

Bruce Wallace

Is it better to let burls dry before turning or can they be turned green just like normal wood?

I have just gotten access to about a dozen elm burls the are 6-9 inches across, I just have to cut the trees down and clean up the mess.

Any suggestions?

2. Griesbach

Griesbach

You can turn burls just like any other wood. Rough turn them oversize and let them dry and finish turn them or turn them green to final shape and let them warp. Burls that size won't leave you with much once you get the bark off but I have no experience with Elm burls.

3. S. Clark

S. Clark

Home Page:
    Turn ‘em green - no problem! It’s difficult to judge how they’ll shrink/warp though. Some burl material is more stable than other depending on the grain pattern. I haven’t worked with Elm burl. Sounds like your are pretty small so be aware of any non-burl wood you may leave attached to the burl will have a different drying effect than the burl portion. You just have to do it and learn from the experience.

- Scott

4. Wyatt Holm

Wyatt Holm

I like to turn them green, but I don't usually rough turn them. I also have turned bone dry ones as well. I think set out for a few months is good to.