• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

CA finish problem

Boy, I'm going to fully bare by newbieness. I have used an ordinary CA finish process on pens and reel seat inserts without much problem. I decided to use it on a wine stopper and redid the finish probably 8 times without ever getting the result I am used to.

The piece is rocky mountain juniper, which should be like aromatic cedar to you civilized Easterners. I'm applying the CA over TruOil, by hand turning the lathe, then sanding/polishing at a medium speed (maybe 800-1200)

On the larger diameter beads or rounded areas, probably 1.5" diameter, I would get rough circumferential stripes, or hard white or gray lines. I could sand them out, removing the finish to or almost to the wood, but get similar results when I would reapply. Eventually, I got decent finish, maybe becuase I slowed the speed during sanding, but there is a pale 3/16" quality to the color or deep in the finish that is the best I can get.

Any thoughts?

Dean Center

Only turned cedar once, not sure what kind, but it was oily. Maybe the oil in your specie is reacting with your CA/TruOil?

Back