1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Carter Hollowing System Question

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Paul Grenier, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

I"m considering buying a used Carter Hollowing System and I was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it. Any feedback would be welcome.
    Paul

2. Dave Delo

Dave Delo

Carter has 2 hollowing systems and I have the smaller version with all the different size bars, cutters, laser....the whole 9 yards. Works fine for me and the type of hollowing I do with wide mouth vases. I can get a good 12" deep with the 1" bar before it get too much chatter. Just made a front tool rest that allows me to get the bar supported inside the vase but haven't been able to try it out yet. Get a Hunter cutter and you can hog like a wild man. Some people don't like it for side to side movements but you can loosen up the capture roller if that becomes an issue. Been a good performer for me.

3. RichColvin

RichColvin

I bought the larger version as I want to get into bigger vessels. I've used it some and it is very stable and solid ! Also has a very long reach.

But, the bar is heavy. Another turner said it was about 70 lbs. Definitely something to consider.

I recommend the Hunter style cutter over the scraper.
    Works well.

Rich