Carter Hollowing System Question

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Paul Grenier, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Paul Grenier

Paul Grenier

I"m considering buying a used Carter Hollowing System and I was wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it. Any feedback would be welcome.
    Paul

2. Dave Delo

Dave Delo

Carter has 2 hollowing systems and I have the smaller version with all the different size bars, cutters, laser....the whole 9 yards. Works fine for me and the type of hollowing I do with wide mouth vases. I can get a good 12" deep with the 1" bar before it get too much chatter. Just made a front tool rest that allows me to get the bar supported inside the vase but haven't been able to try it out yet. Get a Hunter cutter and you can hog like a wild man. Some people don't like it for side to side movements but you can loosen up the capture roller if that becomes an issue. Been a good performer for me.

3. RichColvin

RichColvin

I bought the larger version as I want to get into bigger vessels. I've used it some and it is very stable and solid ! Also has a very long reach.

But, the bar is heavy. Another turner said it was about 70 lbs. Definitely something to consider.

I recommend the Hunter style cutter over the scraper.
    Works well.

Rich