• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cheap LED Lighting

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
FYI, I found some pretty good, inexpensive LED strip lights if anyone is out there looking.

I was looking for some zip ties at WalMart when I stumbled on these lights and I bought 4 of them. They're LED, 4' long, plug-in with hanging chain and 4200 lumens. $43 bucks each. I bought one, installed it above my VB lathe and was so amazed that I went back and got 3 more.

They've almost completely eliminated my need for task / spot lights around the lathes (although I still have some mounted). I bought 4 of the little LEDs from Cindy Drozda's booth at Pittsburgh and they're great, but the overall lighting in the shop is hard to believe. I took out 6 fluorescent, 2- or 4-tube fixtures and replaced with these 4 and have much better light.

I know that there's always the debate about color temperature, CRI and so on. But for me, since I'm not doing any finishing or staining, etc. in this room, all I really need is lots of light (I wear trifocals and am due for another bump in strength shortly). So color temp isn't the deal for me but lots of light is.

Now, I know my shop is not exactly a Cadillac setup and could use some paint, etc (it's a converted porch), but you can probably see how much impact they've had for under $200. And I'll probably never have to replace them.

They're "Lights of America" and are also on Amazon. Link: http://smile.amazon.com/America-Sho...1965862&sr=8-1&keywords=lights+of+america+led

I have no affiliation whatsoever and am merely trying to help those who, like me, are finding their vision diminishing over time.

Edit: Oops, forgot the photo.

shoplight.jpg

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mark I filled my new shop with LED lights from Costco. $70 for 2 fixtures. They are 2- 4 foot lengths for each fixture. The 2 lights are almost as bright as 4 regular flourescents. My shop is like daylight now it's so bright. I find I still need a task light to see finer details or if the router or other tools cast shadows but overall it's very bright.
I switched to LED's for kitchen lighting. We had 11 spot lights over the kitchen cabinet areas. They were burning out constantly and I decided it was simply too much wattage on one circuit. I replaced them with LED's that were just as bright but were 1/3rd the wattage. Not a single bulb has burned out yet. Only time will tell if they hold up long enough to pay for themselves. They were about 10 times what a standard bulb costs.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
4200 lumens is a huge amount of light. I have noticed the LED strip lights at our local hardware store, but didn't really give them a close look yet. I am sold on LED lighting. I have replaced all of the canned floods in our home with LEDs. They are available in 2700K and 300K color temperature to match regular incandescent lighting. For a while we had a mixture of incandescent and LED lighting and I could not discern any difference in color. I can't say the same thing for CFLs which all seem to output various shades of green.

I also have several Coast LED flashlights. They are incredibly bright. A few years ago I would not have believed that LEDs could be so bright.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Now, I know my shop is not exactly a Cadillac setup and could use some paint, etc (it's a converted porch), but you can probably see how much impact they've had for under $200. And I'll probably never have to replace them.

Mark.....I think your shop looks terrific. Wish I had some of the equipment you have......envy! :p

ko

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Mark.....I think your shop looks terrific. Wish I had some of the equipment you have......envy! :p

ko

Hey Odie, thanks!

So we're even... I envy you your turning skills. Wish I could trade :)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I tried to go to Sam's but they didn't have any in stock and I couldn't find anyone who owned them to vouch for the quality. I had 2 people who owned the ones from Costco and liked them. So now you can add me to that list. Lowes has some also and when they are on sale are about the same price but again I couldn't find anyone who owned them. I can say they are darn near indistructable. I knocked two off the ceiling while working on my dust collection system. They hit the floor hard from 8 feet up. Still working fine. I only knocked one flourescent bulb out of the ceiling by bumping it with the broom and had a huge mess to clean up. I also don't have the irritating buzz that often comes with Flourescents.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I tried to go to Sam's but they didn't have any in stock and I couldn't find anyone who owned them to vouch for the quality. I had 2 people who owned the ones from Costco and liked them. So now you can add me to that list. Lowes has some also and when they are on sale are about the same price but again I couldn't find anyone who owned them. I can say they are darn near indistructable. I knocked two off the ceiling while working on my dust collection system. They hit the floor hard from 8 feet up. Still working fine. I only knocked one flourescent bulb out of the ceiling by bumping it with the broom and had a huge mess to clean up. I also don't have the irritating buzz that often comes with Flourescents.

These are pretty good too. They're just some strips inside a fixture with no cover. I dropped one twice while hard-wiring it, and it started right up. So far, very pleased. And yep, no buzz!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've met Bill, nuf said. :) Actually I get most of my info from the forums because I live in a remote area. I found 1 person locally who bought the costco and a couple of people online so it was a safe bet.

odie

TOTW Team
I understand the new LED flashlights use less energy and produce more light than old fashioned bulb/D cell flashlights.......is that true? If so, do the LED shop lights produce more light from less energy than fluorescent shop lights?

ko

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I understand the new LED flashlights use less energy and produce more light than old fashioned bulb/D cell flashlights.......is that true? If so, do the LED shop lights produce more light from less energy than fluorescent shop lights?

ko

Hey Kelly,

By a good bit, the LEDs are more energy efficient. I've seen numbers from 40% and greater. I like the clean light and the very long duty cycle. 35,000 hours are what the new ones I bought are rated for.

I also bought a light for future son-in-law who does truck modifications (chops, lowers, swaps engines, etc). Got him a magnetic task light with I don't know how many LEDs but the thing is like a headlight. Runs on 2 AAA batteries.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

ko

LEDs are about 50% more efficient than CFLs when it comes to how much electricity is used to produce an equal amount of light. LEDs will last about three times longer than CFLs. Although LEDs cost more, over the long run they cost less because they use less electricity and last longer. Besides that, I like the color of the light from LEDs much more than the color of light from CFLs.

When it comes to comparing LED flashlights to the typical tungsten bulb flashlights, they're not even in the same league. On average, LED flashlights produce about five times as much light per watt. When buying a flashlight, it is not quite so easy to compare the two types because LED flashlights seem to come in two types:
  • very long battery life with either low or medium light output ... or
  • super high brightness at the expense of short battery life
The super high brightness ones are also expensive, but the prices are coming down.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
LEDs are about 50% more efficient than CFLs when it comes to how much electricity is used to produce an equal amount of light. LEDs will last about three times longer than CFLs. Although LEDs cost more, over the long run they cost less because they use less electricity and last longer. Besides that, I like the color of the light from LEDs much more than the color of light from CFLs.

When it comes to comparing LED flashlights to the typical tungsten bulb flashlights, they're not even in the same league. On average, LED flashlights produce about five times as much light per watt. When buying a flashlight, it is not quite so easy to compare the two types because LED flashlights seem to come in two types:
  • very long battery life with either low or medium light output ... or
  • super high brightness at the expense of short battery life
The super high brightness ones are also expensive, but the prices are coming down.

And really, even though the price of the superbright Ones can be somewhat high it's still a good value when you consider the longevity and never having to replace bulbs.

odie

TOTW Team
Very interesting Mark and Bill......

Drawing from the old days when I was a serious student of oil painting......what I was taught was a combination of incandescent and florescent lighting was the closest to natural sunlight that could be artificially had. It was suggested to be used by my painting instructors back then......if natural sunlight were not available, that is. I don't know if they are still available, but this is why many work lamps of the day had an incandescent bulb with a small circular florescent bulb surrounding it. (I still have one of these at my workbench inside my home, and use it frequently.)

Anyway.......how does the LED, and CFL lights stack up to the comparison to natural sunlight? That which is closest to that goal would presumably be the best light for directly above the lathe. Anything that would do more for highlighting sanding, and other surface flaws, would be best for a turner's purposes.....we all hate it when these flaws show up after the best time to take them out is past convenience.

ko

Last edited:
Be careful to check the details on any LED fixtures you're looking to buy. I got an LED strip light, at Lowes I think, about a year ago, on sale for around $38. It has about 3000 lumens and is not any brighter, possibly a little less bright, than 2 40 watt fluorescent tubes. Caveat emptor.

Costco LEDs rock

Be careful to check the details on any LED fixtures you're looking to buy. I got an LED strip light, at Lowes I think, about a year ago, on sale for around $38. It has about 3000 lumens and is not any brighter, possibly a little less bright, than 2 40 watt fluorescent tubes. Caveat emptor.

Our Costco carries LED shop lights every spring/summer, around the same price point as those discussed here. I replaced all of my fluorescents (6) and there's a remarkable difference in how bright the shop is, even though the official lumen stat isn't that different. Someone on another forum told me that it's because the way that particular model is designed, all of the light is directed downward. Don't know if that's accurate, but there's no doubt there's more light in the shop, cleaner light and none of the interference or hassle with dead bulbs that I had with the fluorescents. Not surprising that could barely give the old fixtures away.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Very interesting Mark and Bill......

Drawing from the old days when I was a serious student of oil painting......what I was taught was a combination of incandescent and florescent lighting was the closest to natural sunlight that could be artificially had. It was suggested to be used by my painting instructors back then......if natural sunlight were not available, that is. I don't know if they are still available, but this is why many work lamps of the day had an incandescent bulb with a small circular florescent bulb surrounding it. (I still have one of these at my workbench inside my home, and use it frequently.)

Anyway.......how does the LED, and CFL lights stack up to the comparison to natural sunlight? That which is closest to that goal would presumably be the best light for directly above the lathe. Anything that would do more for highlighting sanding, and other surface flaws, would be best for a turner's purposes.....we all hate it when these flaws show up after the best time to take them out is past convenience.

ko

I think, for me, the goal is to have a great deal of light that is somewhere on the white spectrum without much blue because that's what's most pleasing to me. Now, I'm talking about in the shop and at the lathe, where are the color temperature is too important. What is important for me is a lot of light.

I also have a background in oil painting tend to agree that the natural light was better for that purpose. But I don't really worry about that now except when I'm doing finishing. And in fact, I did put one of those LEDs in my little paint booth. I find the light to be excellent

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Our Costco carries LED shop lights every spring/summer, around the same price point as those discussed here. I replaced all of my fluorescents (6) and there's a remarkable difference in how bright the shop is, even though the official lumen stat isn't that different. Someone on another forum told me that it's because the way that particular model is designed, all of the light is directed downward. Don't know if that's accurate, but there's no doubt there's more light in the shop, cleaner light and none of the interference or hassle with dead bulbs that I had with the fluorescents. Not surprising that could barely give the old fixtures away.

I think that you're probably right, and that the light is directed downward. It seems to be a little bit more of a direct light source rather than reflected off the back of the fixture, and that seems to make it brighter at least in my opinion

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Speaking of LEDS...

I thought I'd also mention some of the little "sewing machine" lights I found on Amazon. Great magnets, stronger than expected and good light. The neck is a bit short but a reviewer said he used one on his band saw and loved it. So I thought I'd give it a try.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

You can see my current dust collection system behind the saw table :)

14.95 on Amazon.

Here's a product description if you want to find them:

Sewing Machine Working gooseneck Lamp + 20 LED light, with Magnetic Mounting Base

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... Anyway.......how does the LED, and CFL lights stack up to the comparison to natural sunlight? That which is closest to that goal would presumably be the best light for directly above the lathe. Anything that would do more for highlighting sanding, and other surface flaws ...

That's a question without a simple answer. The first challenge is to decide what we will call natural daylight. Daylight is colored by so many things that the color in one location isn't the same as it is at another. Trees, meadows, buildings, water, time of day, and season of the year all influence the color of what we think of as unbiased white light. Color scientists have a "standard" high noon daylight definition that has a color temperature equivalent to a perfect "black body radiator" temperature of 5000K that contains all colors in the human visible spectrum. Trouble is ... this standard daylight is just a mathematical construct that doesn't exist in the real world. Since the real color of daylight is not just one single fixed thing, but rather is continuously changing with time and location, I can't say what this means to painters. The answer is a lot easier for digital photography where post processing enables the image to be modified to either normalize the lighting or embrace it as a vital part of the overall image ... much like a painter would want to capture the alpenglow colors of a sunset.

I think that the lighting at the lathe needs to be bright and placed above and slightly behind your shoulder to minimize glare. It doesn't need to be daylight white, but it needs to be bright. If you are coloring the wood then broad spectrum lighting would be important. It is hard to find artificial light that is broad spectrum. I have tried a lot of different fluorescent lights and found only one that I thought was any good. However, it was expensive and the light output was a lot less than what I expected to see. For the money, I think that the LEDs are a lot better, but still not ideal.

I thought I'd also mention some of the little "sewing machine" lights I found on Amazon. Great magnets, stronger than expected and good light. The neck is a bit short but a reviewer said he used one on his band saw and loved it. So I thought I'd give it a try

14.95 on Amazon.

Sewing Machine Working gooseneck Lamp + 20 LED light, with Magnetic Mounting Base

Years ago, I stumbled across a BBQ light, similar to this one and bought it for the shop. Neck longer than sewing light, but light isn't great. Now they make them with a larger array of LEDs, as seen here. Not sure how long the neck is on that one. Woodturners catalog has lights with really long necks and good lighting, pretty pricey but get high-star reviews from buyers.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

ko

A simpler answer is to get bulbs in the 5000K-6500K (K is for Kelvin which is a standards for light color) temperature. What you dont really want to do is mix color temperatures.

I changed my home office to 5000K LEDs and like it, but we changed the kitchen (6 fixtures of 2 each 3') to ballast less drop ins at 2700K because i knew my wife would rather have a "warmer" temp bulb in there

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Years ago, I stumbled across a BBQ light, similar to this one and bought it for the shop. Neck longer than sewing light, but light isn't great. Now they make them with a larger array of LEDs, as seen here. Not sure how long the neck is on that one. Woodturners catalog has lights with really long necks and good lighting, pretty pricey but get high-star reviews from buyers.

I kind of like that one you linked to.

I have some of the Cindy Drozda ones with the strong magnetic base and they're excellent, and really when you think about the price of a tool, not too bad at about $40 each as I recall. Still, I like these short little ones for the band saw and I'm going to put one at the grinder. I like to use a back light to help setup and while working. I might try one of those BBQ lights.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
That's a question without a simple answer. The first challenge is to decide what we will call natural daylight. Daylight is colored by so many things that the color in one location isn't the same as it is at another. Trees, meadows, buildings, water, time of day, and season of the year all influence the color of what we think of as unbiased white light. Color scientists have a "standard" high noon daylight definition that has a color temperature equivalent to a perfect "black body radiator" temperature of 5000K that contains all colors in the human visible spectrum. Trouble is ... this standard daylight is just a mathematical construct that doesn't exist in the real world. Since the real color of daylight is not just one single fixed thing, but rather is continuously changing with time and location, I can't say what this means to painters. The answer is a lot easier for digital photography where post processing enables the image to be modified to either normalize the lighting or embrace it as a vital part of the overall image ... much like a painter would want to capture the alpenglow colors of a sunset.

I think that the lighting at the lathe needs to be bright and placed above and slightly behind your shoulder to minimize glare. It doesn't need to be daylight white, but it needs to be bright. If you are coloring the wood then broad spectrum lighting would be important. It is hard to find artificial light that is broad spectrum. I have tried a lot of different fluorescent lights and found only one that I thought was any good. However, it was expensive and the light output was a lot less than what I expected to see. For the money, I think that the LEDs are a lot better, but still not ideal.

I agree with you on the light placement at the lathe. I've set mine up that way: high, slightly behind me and parallel to the ways. TONS of light, very little shadow and even less glare. I still use a couple of small task lights to illuminate the tough spots around the chuck and also for inside bowls and such.

As to painters' light, well it kind of depends also on what it is you paint, what medium you use, and so on. I was mostly a surrealist oil painter (Dali, Magritte, etc), and good "natural" light was the holy grail. I lived near the Quarter in NOLA, and light varied of course by time of day, season and weather. So you set up by a big window, and put every light you could lay hands on around you. I think that your point is well taken: perfect natural light is a construct that probably isn't really repeatable in nature. So ironically, to get repeatable natural light, you need a studio. :D:D:D

odie

TOTW Team
I thought I'd also mention some of the little "sewing machine" lights I found on Amazon. Great magnets, stronger than expected and good light. The neck is a bit short but a reviewer said he used one on his band saw and loved it. So I thought I'd give it a try.

View attachment 9166View attachment 9167View attachment 9168

14.95 on Amazon.

Thank you for this "heads up", Mark.....:D

I actually have this exact same 20 LED lamp and have been using it for a year or so. It's great for my specific purpose: I'm using it when I part off a finished bowl from the waste block. I put a white background under the bowl, shine the lamp directly on the white, and I can clearly see what's left to part off through the gap. If I go too far, and the bowl isn't perfectly balanced.....it could break off, ruining the bowl. I need to see clearly the progress, and this lamp is perfect for that, used in that way.

The trouble is, when I bought it, it was advertised as a "lathe lamp", and the supplier subsequently discontinued the item.......otherwise I'd have bought another. Now that I know this is actually a "sewing machine lamp", that opened up the door to find more of these.

If you don't mind waiting for a package from China, a 30 LED can be purchased on eBay for 9 bucks with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141868233360?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I just purchased two of these 30 LED sewing machine lamps a few minutes ago.......thanks for giving me the necessary information to find it! :cool:

ko

BTW: Steve......according to the specs given, this 30 LED lamp is in the 6,000K range.

Attachments

• IMG_1832.jpg
    IMG_1832.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Thank you for this "heads up", Mark.....:D

I actually have this exact same 20 LED lamp and have been using it for a year or so. It's great for my specific purpose: I'm using it when I part off a finished bowl from the waste block. I put a white background under the bowl, shine the lamp directly on the white, and I can clearly see what's left to part off through the gap. If I go too far, and the bowl isn't perfectly balanced.....it could break off, ruining the bowl. I need to see clearly the progress, and this lamp is perfect for that, used in that way.

The trouble is, when I bought it, it was advertised as a "lathe lamp", and the supplier subsequently discontinued the item.......otherwise I'd have bought another. Now that I know this is actually a "sewing machine lamp", that opened up the door to find more of these.

If you don't mind waiting for a package from China, a 30 LED can be purchased on eBay for 9 bucks with free shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141868233360?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I just purchased two of these 30 LED sewing machine lamps a few minutes ago.......thanks for giving me the necessary information to find it! :cool:

ko

BTW: Steve......according to the specs given, this 30 LED lamp is in the 6,000K range.

Just order to buy slow boat myself :)

It's funny, but I do the same thing sort of. I have a piece of white Formica that I clip behind the lathe to provide some contrast what I'm working with darker wood. It's a huge help. Yeah and I love that little light too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261360520149?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=560262456642&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT This is one I have been using for over a year . It does have a short column and does a fairly good job. I got the middle size light from Woodenwonders on Christmas sale aand so far looks good.
Now working on setting up LED floods with outdoor fixtures (2 per) . The floods are a warm white and give 2700K color and 750 lumens brightness. This light will be more concentrated than a fllourescent tube. I think we could say that at least 40 % of a CFL's light is wasted against the top of the fixture. The CFL I have used is 2750 lumens and now consider that that light is scattered over an area about 10 x 6. The flood will focus possibly down to area of 4 x 8 or less if so oriented (say 4 x 6). So the LED is covering 24 sqft and the CFL 60 sqft. Take the light output of CFL 2750 x2=5500 Divided by area60 = ca90 L/ft
led output 750 x 2 =1500 divided by area 24 = 60 l/ft
Mind you that this is only theory and I believe that the light from CFL scatters more than calculated and I do not have a light meter to verify that, but I do have a double led flood setup and it looks brighter than the CFL and will cost less to replace since LED floods are now from $ 4 to $6.25.
As stated just my observation.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Originally I picked up a bunch of 36" long but very narrow fluorescent tubes, from Habitat Restore for $5 each.
These provide great light and I ran them around the top edge of my shop for ambient light.
But replacement bulbs are far more than I originally anticipated. ~$25 each

I was considering LED "strip lights" ex.:
http://www.dx.com/p/water-resistant...ite-light-strip-dc-12v-5m-314857#.Vo_WGpMrJTY

I have no experience but it seems interesting. This shop has a huge selection as well as color temps.
Also seems like you can cut these to size and tape them where you need them in different configurations.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Originally I picked up a bunch of 36" long but very narrow fluorescent tubes, from Habitat Restore for $5 each.
These provide great light and I ran them around the top edge of my shop for ambient light.
But replacement bulbs are far more than I originally anticipated. ~$25 each

I was considering LED "strip lights" ex.:
http://www.dx.com/p/water-resistant...ite-light-strip-dc-12v-5m-314857#.Vo_WGpMrJTY

I have no experience but it seems interesting. This shop has a huge selection as well as color temps.
Also seems like you can cut these to size and tape them where you need them in different configurations.

If they're T12, GE has a product called "substitute". Easy that's a direct replacement for a fluorescent tube. I'm not sure what length of they make them in but I've seen them in 4 foot. I saw them at Lowes for $22 each Something like 2000 lm per tube

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
... I was considering LED "strip lights" ..... I have no experience but it seems interesting.......

I could be mistaken, but it looks a lot like the LED strips that are used in computer gaming cases. My suspicions are reinforced by the facts that the lights are offered in various primary colors and that they are designed to operate on 12 volts which is the operating voltage for various computer accessories such as the case lights. It appears that the length of the strip on the spool is five meters and the light isn't directionally focused so I don't think that it would be satisfactory for work lighting.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Olaf, I'm with Bill on that. Take a look at these links and you'll see what I'm using (and others found some better, cheaper).

http://smile.amazon.com/America-Sho...2284577&sr=8-1&keywords=lights+of+america+led

http://www.lowes.com/pd_595685-43921-MXL2005-LED2X20K840_1z0vitiZ1z11owh__

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-4-LED-Shoplight/46808020

The last link is what I bought. They're a bit more than others but you are buying them once and most likely, only once. These are essentially a strip of LED mounted onto a shop fixture with no cover and a 3-prong plug. Very bright and functional. Plus, I didn't have a fluorescent light in my shop with a cover that wasn't all dinged, cracked and taped together :)

Utilitech at Lowe's also has some for about $40 that you can direct wire.

I've been dealing with diminishing vision for a while and so light is a particular area of interest to me and I really need it bright.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here is another link if you want other colors such as blue: http://www.ledluxor.com/led-light-flexible-strips-smd5050-blue

The 5050 SMD (surface mount device) chips are 5 mm X 5 mm and each contains three LEDs. If you go to dealers such as New Egg you can find retail versions that have been cut into short lengths and fitted with wire leads with connectors. My opinion is that the light output is overstated based on some unrealistic idealized conditions.

I bought the direct wire Utilitech and this one:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_595731-43921-MXL2006-LED2X24K840_1z11k3pZ1z0vgb3__?productId=999911231&pl=1
The second comes with diffuser, hangers, a cord, and an on off pull chain.
The direct wire ones have come down in price alot, but the one in the link was much easier to set up.
A downside is that the power cord comes out of the center of the top, no flush mount ( which was the advantage of the direct wire)
The light output is great, and instant on in the winter.
Next I plan to replace the bulbs in my moffatt lights with lcd spots. Save even more watts.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Olaf, I'm with Bill on that. Take a look at these links and you'll see what I'm using (and others found some better, cheaper).

http://smile.amazon.com/America-Sho...2284577&sr=8-1&keywords=lights+of+america+led

http://www.lowes.com/pd_595685-43921-MXL2005-LED2X20K840_1z0vitiZ1z11owh__

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-4-LED-Shoplight/46808020

The last link is what I bought. They're a bit more than others but you are buying them once and most likely, only once. These are essentially a strip of LED mounted onto a shop fixture with no cover and a 3-prong plug. Very bright and functional. Plus, I didn't have a fluorescent light in my shop with a cover that wasn't all dinged, cracked and taped together :)

Utilitech at Lowe's also has some for about $40 that you can direct wire.

I've been dealing with diminishing vision for a while and so light is a particular area of interest to me and I really need it bright.

Ah yes...that wonderful selection of products you enjoy in the US.
And we can't get in Canada...hey, it's so far away!

Often Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot carry stuff in the US but not here and frequently the prices are MUCH lower (after exchange rate). Something that's really bothersome. And why we drop ship across the border.

But Seriously, I'll check these lights out.

And no Bill, just to assuage any concerns, I'll stick with white light. I'm not turning my shop into a disco!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have been using one of the LCD lights in my Moffatt light on the lathe for several months and really like it. Before that I tried one of the high priced broad spectrum CFLs that was fine as far as having good color rendition compared to daylight, but the light output was weak despite what was advertised.

The brand of LEDs that I use is Feit because that is what my local hardware store has and I like their performance.

Back