• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Choose a new lathe..........

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Hoping to inspire a little discussion, and contemplation......

OK, you need to choose a new lathe......BUT, there are rules to this thread:

1. You can't choose a lathe that you own, or have owned.

2. You have to choose a lathe you can reasonably expect to afford. The limits are where you would make that call.

3. You have to tell us what lathe you own now, and how your choice would compare to it.

4. If you can, a link to your choice of lathes would be nice.

============================================

OK, me first!

I have an Australian Woodfast MC908 lathe that I purchased in 1992. This isn't the Rikon copy, it's a genuine Australian made Woodfast. It's been a great lathe, but the 16" swing and fixed pulley 5-speed has been somewhat limiting. These are the only things I have had issues with. I almost sold it a few years ago, but decided to upgrade to a VS and live with the 16" swing......so far, so good.

I'd choose the Vicmarc VL300 CS 3hp long bed lathe.....click:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...marc_VL300_CS_Series_Wood_Lathe___vl300?Args=

The VS (variable speed) is standard these days, and that is one thing I'd NEVER do without anymore. (I learned the hard way!)

The Woodfast's 16" swing, I will probably live with for the rest of my life, but having a little more swing would help me out from time to time. 24" swing sounds great, but my guess is that 20" would be closer to perfection.....that is, if I ever bought another lathe.

I've never been convinced that a short bed lathe gives the operator as much body movement, or convenience as one would think.....still too much restriction there. Now, if we were talking about a Harrison Union Graduate, or a VB36 Bowlmaster, I could certainly see how comfortable a lathe that doesn't have a protruding bed would be.........not to mention the hassle of doing something with the tailstock every time it got in the way, even with one of those "swing out" contraptions!

I came within a gnat's hair of getting the Vicmarc a couple years ago.....I had the money.....I had the inclination.......but at the last moment I decided the swing and VS, were the only limiting features.....and the VS was easily correctable.

What about you?

ooc

Last edited:
Hi Odie I think I squeak in on your rules as I have ordered a new lathe but didn't get it yet so I kinda own it. The lathe I have now is a grizzly 14" http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe/G1495 that I bought mainly to use as needed for legs and decoration for flat work.I saw someone on TV make a vase tried to copy it and got hooked and find that the grizzly always comes up a little short of what I want to do. The lathe I just bought is the 3520B http://www.powermatic.com/Products.aspx?Part=1352001&cat=332178 It was a tough choice I was looking at all the big names and almost went with Stubby but after comparing the specs I'm really not giving anything up with the 3520 and I can buy a good bowl saver and other things to go with it that I would have had to wait for if I went with the more expensive lathe.

I'll cheat and give you two answers.
I have a dvr xp with outrigger and cast stand.
To replace that I'd mull a oneway 1640 or just jump to the 2436. The 1640 would have to have the extension that would allow outboard, as would the 2436. My current limiting factor would be my basement shop, so the 1640 would probably win.
I also have a general 25-200 for teaching and demos. It was the only vs mini I can get here in Canada. Jet does not supply to anyone in Canada, but since this is hypothetical, I'll go with the jet vs mini.

I currently have a Robust American Beauty. I would consider a VB36 or a Vicmark like Mike Mahoney has (I heard he has a special one with a 5 hp motor), short bed model. I would need some thing for spindles, but I really don't do that many of them. Nothing else out there really captures my interest.
robo hippy

This isn't all that hard seeing as I just got my lathe 3 months ago. I had an old Rockwell/Delta with a medium length bead, 1/2 HP motor and maybe 6 inches from the bed to the center of the drive. But I could easily do outboard turning on it.

I know have a Vicmarc VL300 long bed 2HP that I purchased on a VERY good sale:D

If I would not have found the Vicmarc at the same price as a Powermatic 3520B, I would be the owner of a Mustard Monster right now.

I love the Vicmarc and the Oneway 2436, but the prices were to high for my pocket book, and I found no concerns with the 3520.;)

Website
www.tobinhillturning.com
I currently own a Nova DVR with my very heavy home built stand. In reality it serves my needs and 99+% of the time it has the capacity that I need for the wood I have available. But if I needed a new lathe it would come down to 2 lathes that have a bit more capacity.

The reason 2 lathes is because it would depend on shop space at the time. If there was no limit to space it would be the long bed Vic without question. http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=537 But If I had space issues at the time I would look really close at the Stubby. http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/cgi-bin/index.py

Either of these lathes would give some added capacity that I don't have with my DVR. They also have great quality and the reputation for holding up to hard use. My interest in doing deeper hollow forms probably gives the edge to the Vic but as I said available shop space could change the decision.

Alan

Attachments

• Lathe Pic 1.5.jpg
    Lathe Pic 1.5.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
My interest in doing deeper hollow forms probably gives the edge to the Vic but as I said available shop space could change the decision.

Alan

My knowedge about doing hollow forms is zip, so what is it about the Vic that you feel makes it better for that application?

I knew I'd hear about a variety of lathes.......all of which I have no experience with. I was betting I'd hear Stubby, Robust, Powermatic 3520, Jet, Oneway.....and so on...

Here's a couple of offbeat questions about the Powermatic 3520B:

Of those of you who own the "mustard monster", do you actually use that wire guard contraption I see on the photos? Maybe you could change my mind, but that looks like something that would spend forever in my junk pile!

Also, the digital read-out looks pretty cool, but is there really any use for it? I have five pulley speed ranges, all with variable speed for each. It just doesn't seem like knowing the exact speed is that big of a deal......I never know the exact speed, and I have no problem adjusting to conform to vibrational variations. Is there some use for the digital readout that I'm not aware of?

Not really picking on the 3520B......really, it does look like a terrific lathe to me......:)

ooc

Mark.......You just barely got in under the wire! Heh,heh,heh! :D

Last edited:
hmmm lathe choice

Well I have just moved on one lathe that was Chinese generic swivel head 1hp that I converted to electronic variable speed with a three step pulley to over come torque issues.

Which lathe now. I have a problem I like a few different ones for different reasons.

ie Stubby for the sliding bed. Vicmarcs for the swivel head, Nova for the smooth speed control and then theres the Oneway as well :confused:

What I need is a Novastu-onemarc .....:D

So I have built a couple of my own.The first is just a bowl finishing lathe that is its a short bed no tail stock and it will swing around 3' 2hp motor single phase.
The second is not quite complete as yet. It has a double bed and should swing around 28-30" and around 5' between centres. I am hunting down a DC 1-2hp motor with variable speed or failing that 3 phase with variable speed 2hp or so. its further on in its development, but no pics available as I building a new shop.
In the mean time I have a third on the drawing board a more refined version of the second

The

Attachments

• Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC00874.JPG
    DSC00874.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC01210.JPG
    DSC01210.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01211.JPE
    DSC01211.JPE
    14.7 KB · Views: 123
Website
www.thewoodspinnershoppe.com
I currently have the Nova DVR XP with bed extension (and will probably get the outrigger in a couple of years.) Since I'm starting to do more deep hollow forms (17+ in. deep) I would like to get either the PM4224 or the Robust American Beauty.
However, with my current space limitations in my 'shop' (corner of the garage,) I will have to wait until SWMBO lets me park one of the cars outside or I retire (so that I don't need my work car.) Neither will happen anytime soon, so until then, I'll have to keep to my Nova. If and when that dies, I will probably go for the Robust Sweet 16 with a bed extension. I would have to put it on rollers so I can move it to some place out of the way (not that I have any place like that now. :D)

Cheers,

Sorry Odie --gonna break your rules here. My first lathe was HF34706, it is now a Beall buffing station. My next lathe (and last unless I win the lotto)was a PM3520B.

To sneak back in under your rules.........If I won the lotto I'd probably get Stubby bowl lathe to add to the two lathes I have.

Jim

Last edited:
I have been turning wood just over 4 months. So I am a real newbie.
I had my heart set on a PM 3520A (used) after reading all of the posts about it. I found one within 70 miles of my home, the owner kept putting me off for a week ot two since last October.
The end of last March I found a previously owned VB-36. I have self taught myself on it. Once and a while I wonder how a person would turn bowls on a conventional lathe. I wonder if I am spoiled, actually I know that I am.

Dave

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
It's a 2 part question and the money end is the big part. If I could have any lathe and it would be an upgrade then I would have to look at the Stubby or the big Robust. I turn a lot of different things and need a lathe that will adapt. I won't be able to ever justify buying one of those unless I go full time with my turning.
The reason I have the Powermatic was simply a money issue. I wanted the heaviest lathe I could find and hopefully have some adaptability. I've been a powermatic fan ever since Rude talked them into building this thing. It was really too much money but I gambled and gulped and ordered it. I am certainly glad I did. It will do just about anything I would want to do with a lathe. Of course I got mine for $2000 and the certainly go for more than that now days.
Probably more in my price range in modern dollars are the nova and Jet 16" versions. I'm a big fan of the Robust 16 because I think I would actually use all of it's features but it's a little on the steep end for me.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
I would have to have a sliding headstock

I just can't imagine not being able to move the headstock toward the end so I can step all around a hollow form or undercut rim work. My neck and back can't abide sitting on the lathe or reaching over to the other side. Also with big, heavy, out of balance green blanks it sure is nice to center the headstock on the ways. Steadies thinks up nicely when I am at the limits. I would want to be able to do long spindles on occasion. So I would turn my 3520a in for the big Robust for a bit more power, bigger swing, the nice tails-stock swing-away and the stainless steel ways. But I would have to turn the MustardMonster web site over to someone, and I sure feel a lot of loyalty to that old, ugly, nicked, lacquer and CA stained, awful yellow colored beast. But I have been thinking on it.......

Probably a 3520B, and would keep the Jet 1642. But they have priced me out of the market so I guess that disqualifies my answer. BTW the Jet 1642 also comes with that swell wire guard and tool tray. Mine are still in the original wrapping, on a shelf somewhere.

odie

TOTW Team
Well I have just moved on one lathe that was Chinese generic swivel head 1hp that I converted to electronic variable speed with a three step pulley to over come torque issues.

Which lathe now. I have a problem I like a few different ones for different reasons.

ie Stubby for the sliding bed. Vicmarcs for the swivel head, Nova for the smooth speed control and then theres the Oneway as well

What I need is a Novastu-onemarc .....:D

So I have built a couple of my own.The first is just a bowl finishing lathe that is its a short bed no tail stock and it will swing around 3' 2hp motor single phase.
The second is not quite complete as yet. It has a double bed and should swing around 28-30" and around 5' between centres. I am hunting down a DC 1-2hp motor with variable speed or failing that 3 phase with variable speed 2hp or so. its further on in its development, but no pics available as I building a new shop.
In the mean time I have a third on the drawing board a more refined version of the second

The

I meant to comment about Hughie's monster lathe he's currently building. (see post #9 in this thread)

If money were no object, I think I'd have him build me one! :cool2::D;)

Hughie.......be sure to let us know on the progress of your lathe. What a great job you are doing, pardner!

ooc

attachment.php

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Here's a couple of offbeat questions about the Powermatic 3520B:

Of those of you who own the "mustard monster", do you actually use that wire guard contraption I see on the photos? Maybe you could change my mind, but that looks like something that would spend forever in my junk pile!

Also, the digital read-out looks pretty cool, but is there really any use for it? I have five pulley speed ranges, all with variable speed for each. It just doesn't seem like knowing the exact speed is that big of a deal......I never know the exact speed, and I have no problem adjusting to conform to vibrational variations. Is there some use for the digital readout that I'm not aware of?

Not really picking on the 3520B......really, it does look like a terrific lathe to me......:)

I have the 3520... Because of the parameters of your original post, I couldn't respond, because, while I have pondered for days, I cant think of anything more (that I could use) that any other lathe could offer me. In my case, there is such a thing as enough. BUT:

The cage thingy is still in the original wrapping on the back of a high shelf.
My variable speed is JUST old enough so that it doesn't show RPM... I don't know what those numbers mean, but like you, I listen to and watch the lathe to determine what the proper speed should be.

I also have the 3520B. The safety thingy is mounted on my machine. I used it the first day or so. It remains installed on the machine because it makes a great right angle drill holder. The variable speed readout is nice but I adjust the speed to my comfort level which is considerably slower than most. Got speed issues out of my system with a Chevy 409 in the early 60's. It WAS FUN then. Now I know I'm not immortal and prefer not launching anything in the direction of my head if possible.

Website
www.mainebowls.com
RPM Readout

I guess I use the RPM readout primarily for things like setting the speed of my buffing wheels, for coring, and for sanding sometimes. It can even help if I use the variable speed to shut down the lathe and want to return to the same RPM. I probably don't need it, but I do enjoy having it there.

As far as a new lathe...If I won the lottery, I'd still keep my 3520b with its extension and the remote switch I made for it. Can't envision needing anything else...or wanting anything more than I need.

odie

TOTW Team
I guess I use the RPM readout primarily for things like setting the speed of my buffing wheels, for coring, and for sanding sometimes. It can even help if I use the variable speed to shut down the lathe and want to return to the same RPM. I probably don't need it, but I do enjoy having it there.

As far as a new lathe...If I won the lottery, I'd still keep my 3520b with its extension and the remote switch I made for it. Can't envision needing anything else...or wanting anything more than I need.

Hi Jack.......

You are making me realize that there are a few who might find the digital rpm readout to be of some benefit......no matter whether I, in particular, would find it useful or not.

One thing that stands out to me from reading the posts in this thread, as well as others........ is the loyalty the PM3520 lathe seems to enjoy among it's owners.

THAT......is not an insignificant observation! :D

As far as that weird looking wire guard contraption goes.......it's probably something cooked up between some engineer and a lawyer! Ha, ha, ha! I'm assuming it's there to prevent flying chunks of wood from causing injury to the operator......?......seems like a huge price to pay for safety!.....and akin to putting "training wheels" on your lathe! ;)

OOC

Lathe Guards

"As far as that weird looking wire guard contraption goes.......it's probably something cooked up between some engineer and a lawyer! Ha, ha, ha! I'm assuming it's there to prevent flying chunks of wood from causing injury to the operator......?......seems like a huge price to pay for safety!"

The issue with effective guarding is related to making it as innocuous as possible so that people will not endanger themselves, by removing it, for the sake of convenience. We have a well discussed recent fatal event in woodturning, which needs to stay fresh in all of our minds.

While I am no expert on the 3520B, I know that Powermatic has a long business relationship with school shops - Powermatic equipment was the cadillac fare in my father's industrial arts shops. This may be the reason for the elaborate guarding.

We need to be careful in discounting guards as "huge prices to pay for safety." While fatalities are rare, serious injuries in woodshops are not. You don't have to turn for long before you have an injury or near miss. Whether a cut or burned finger or a bad bruise, or a piece hitting the wall behind you, things happen. No one plans on having an accident, just before it happens.

Turning is supposed to be enjoyable. Don't let it lead to a lifestyle altering injury!

Be safe!

Jerry Wright

odie

TOTW Team
Hi Jerry.......

If you have one of those "weird looking wire guards", it's up to you what you do with it. Although I do use safety equipment for protecting eyes, face, lungs, skin, etc., I still think something like that is a price I wouldn't pay for safety......it's just a bit too much burden on freedom of body/hand movement for my liking.

You mentioned use in schools......if it were a requirement, I could understand why it were included in the Powermatic package.

.....but, for private use, it will be up to the individual, as to what he will do.

This reminds me of something I heard on the radio recently. There was someone who was speaking of how few bicycle helmets he saw in use when visiting foreign countries in Europe and Asia.......but in America, we have people who seem to have an unnatural fear of a serious accident. Having a serious accident is unquestionably a possibility.....but, nevertheless.....just a remote possibility when the laws of averages are taken into consideration.

As stupid as it sounds, if the current "health care bill" becomes law, I have a feeling that something like that "weird wire guard" might become mandatory for us to use......things like that, or other things similar to it, could become the next step in socialization of our health care needs..... Slogans like "it's for the children", and "if we could save just one life, then we need to pass this legislation", will become the battle cry of the Socialists who only wish to take care of us......! What a crock!.......but, we all better pay attention to what's happening........the consequences of not knowing is just too great a risk.......and, we seem to have "leaders" who pass bills without ever knowing the content, or the resulting consequences of their actions..........

ooc

Last edited:
Shop Safety

Safety is obviously a personal responsibility, although many lawyers and survivors often disgree after an accident. Then everyone else must have been responsible.

That is why we have mowers and snow throwers with dead man grips and routers with guards which don't allow you to see what you are routing. These are ineffective, and as a result are generally removed. However the new Sawstop table saw system is a real hit, because it's safety feature works and is out of the way. That is why it has become the saw of choice for commercial shops and schools with Worker's Comp and other insurance liabilities.

To put personal responsibility in perspective, I once had an employee who was an avid BMW touring motorcyclist. I saw him unboxing a new Bell helmet with a wonderful full face shield. I asked him how much he paid for it. He said $250. I said, "can't you get a helmet for $50?" He said, "Only if you have a $50 head!"

The important thing is that we all keep safety foremost in our minds while we turn. Think before we act, I have always found it useful to analyze a situation as if my children or neighbor's kids were doing it in my shop. It helps keep me from taking dangerous shortcuts.

It hasn't always been successful - I have a few stitches to show for it, but fewer and fewer as I have gotten older :)

Thanks for a useful exchage on a seroius topic.

Jerry

odie

TOTW Team
Thanks for a useful exchage on a seroius topic.

Jerry

You are welcome, Jerry......

And, thanks for not letting this become a "right or wrong" issue.

I prefer to think our personal freedom to decide, is what will guide us in our choices......no right and wrong about it.......just our own personal assessment of the risks and benefits of those choices.

ooc

Odie

I agree with you on the "health care" and such. We, in the land of fruit and nuts, were sold (I did not vote for it) a bill of goods on the seat belt law. I still remember the head of the CHP stating in a commercial (supporting) saying the law will never be used as a way to stop cars. Now in CA it is one of the biggest violations for money making and as soon as that was proven we now have the same situation with cell phones. Although there is no real data they are dangerous to use in a car and a lot less dangerous than drinking.

There; said my piece and thanks for letting me.

I've two 'portable' small lathes, prefer the new Delta midi for that use and don't know of any other one as good. My big lathe is a Stubby 750 and I also love it. The only one I might take over my Stubby would be a Serious: http://www.serioustoolworks.com/wood-lathes.php

So how is that new Delta lathe going? Is it the VS version? I am in the market for a small lathe and am thinking of the Delta or the Rikon. The Jet 1220 is out of the picture becuase I just went through 2 of them and am now waiting for a refund from Woodcraft becuase the 1220's I was given are both garbage and had issues and Jet kept wanting me to return them to a service center for adjustments. Screw that, so I am going with another brand.

If money were no object, I think I'd have him build me one!

Odie,

:D no worries just hop a plane to Sydney and we will work something out.

Actually I mean to draw all the lathes up and put them into Pdf form along with a step by step manual on "how to" . Plus a few other ideas I have and offer them up via my web site.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie,

:D no worries just hop a plane to Sydney and we will work something out.

Actually I mean to draw all the lathes up and put them into Pdf form along with a step by step manual on "how to" . Plus a few other ideas I have and offer them up via my web site.

Heh,heh,heh.....thanks for the invite, hughie......:D

I'd love to take a little trip to Australia, :cool2:.......but, with my current budget, I couldn't afford much more than putting myself in a box and mailing myself there! Ha! ;)

Later......

ooc

I got my new 3520B last thurs and thought I would chime in on the guard and digital readout.First thing I realized is it's so much more stable than my old lathe I was turning way faster than I ever did.The old turn it up until it shakes and back off don't apply here.A 12" untried blank will spin at 1300 rpm without making the lathe move so I think the readout is important just to keep speed in check.I wasn't gonna put the guard on until I made the first observation so it's on now.It is well designed and doesn't really get in the way so I don't mind it being there.If I'm honest I will prob ally only use it for truing up blanks but I'm glad I have the option.

I have a 3520B with extension bed (used in both positions), and with my current (and foreseeable future) budget, there are no others that I'd consider. I can understand and relate to the owner loyalty these lathes have. If I had the space, a good VS midi lathe would be nice, but I honestly don't know how much I'd use it.

I attached the wire cage just long enough to see how it works. It's actually pretty well designed, but it would still feel like it was in my way, so it has sat on a shelf ever since...over there somewhere by the blade guard from my tablesaw. The mounting bracket for the cage makes a dandy place to attach a lighting system, though.

I like having the digital speed readout, but for the most part it's only to satisfy my curiosity. I still rely on my comfort and sanity level more the digital readout. It is handy for things like setting buffing speeds, or as Mark mentioned, for keeping things in check when you're getting accustomed to turning on a more stable lathe.

As soon as LOML wins the Lotto, however, I'll be looking into something in the Robust/Oneway/Serious class to gain the bigger swing over the bed. I think the black Robust would go well with the black Sawstop that I'll be buying then.

Last edited:
I still have the wire guard to my PM even though I sold it. The buyer didn't want it, and I use it to hold down tarps on my wood pile. Best use for it I can think of.
robo hippy

The openings are too big to prevent chips from flying and once you get the ribbons flowing they get hung up in it.That's why I think it's basically there for truing up just in-case something breaks loose.

Website
www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com
If I had to choose a new lathe I think it would be a VB36. I like heavy cast iron. When I started in the Wood business some 45 years ago my mentor impressed on me the importance of weight, he would say, "You buy a machine by weight --always buy the heaviest!" VB36 is best when used for a bowl lathe but can be converted to spindle turning.

I also like the old lathes like the Union Graduate. It was the for runner of the VB36. No longer made but there are places in the UK that restore and sell the Graduate.

The third lathe is another old model no longer made. It is the Creasant. Again it is a sturdy cast iron lathe. It has a variable speed control, cone type. They are still around If you try turning on one you will love it.

I think I have uploaded a couple of pictures--haven't done it before so I hope it works.

Attachments

• Grad SB usa1.jpg
    Grad SB usa1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 53
  • creasant lathe.jpg
    creasant lathe.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
VB36 and Woodtek No.1

I would have to agree with Paul. I've owned a Oneway 2436 and now a Vicmark VL300. I had the chance to get up close and personal with a VB36 at the Utah Symposium this year. You can't help but be awed by the massiveness of every part of that lathe.

My second choice would be the Woodtek No.1 Lathe "Whole Enchilada" but I can't figure out for the life of me why no one owns one of these or ever talks about them. I saw one at the AAW symposium and again I was in awe of the massiveness.

Last edited:
Vb-36

Paul and Dave,

You are right, but the massiveness is in the casting for the spindle. I believe the total machine weight is 585 pounds ( without the tailstock version). The owners manual says you have to have a engine hoist (cherry picker) with a lift capacity on 2,000 pounds. They don't say the max. limit of the machine is, but I think that the 2,000 lift pretty much explains it.
Where they get all of their stability is they have to be bolted to the floor. I have also turned on a Oneway 2436 and there is a world of difference. I think that it is a combination of the bearing system and the size of the spindle that provides the difference, then bolting to the floor makes it a no comparison. I sort of think that if a person could bolt a "normal" lathe to the floor it would make a big difference. In the metal world I have owned lathes that have weighted up to 8,000 pounds, but the things turned in them are rarely as much out of balance as a bowl blank.
I am, as you can tell spoiled, you only go around once. Make the best of it.

Good luck,

Dave

odie

TOTW Team
.....then bolting to the floor makes it a no comparison. I sort of think that if a person could bolt a "normal" lathe to the floor it would make a big difference.

This is absolutely true. My Australian Woodfast lathe is only about 500lbs, but it's bolted to the floor. I have never had a problem chunk of wood that couldn't be turned without vibration. Some of them have been pretty unbalanced, but probably not as unbalanced as a few pieces I've seen turned by others.

Anyway, it's a VERY good idea to bolt your lathe to the floor.....At this point in time, I would have it no other way.

ooc

Website
www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com
We seem to agree on weight of the lathe. I like cast iron for more than its weight. I have used steel fabricated lathes in the past and have found that there is a harmonic that sets up when turning at certain speeds. It becomes a vibration that shows up in the final piece. I have never found this in a cast iron lathe. I also agree with the quality of bearing in the head, if I am setting up a used lathe I always replace the bearings first. Oh yes, I also look for a good sized spindle something larger than an inch is desired.

Back