• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Choosing a camera

Website
www.michaelalguire.com
im looking to purchase a new camera , i cant spend thousands on one but i can spend a little for a better camera. currently im using a point and shoot that is 16 mp and 1/2.3" CCD sensor. I want better qaulity photos.
my budget is between 700 to 1000 , now i know this is a whole nother ball game and need some help.
what would you recommend, and would you focus more on mega pixel or Sensor Type / Size
and what type of lens should i look at other than a macro lens ?

Don't take this the wrong way, but you should go to a Brick & Mortar camera shop, or start some searches on-line. I say that because I too am recently in the market for a new camera, but I live in the Chicago area where there are several stores to walk in and ask questions.
Based on what I saw in your media collection, it looks like you are an advanced & professional turner. Go to the camera professionals for their advice.

Michael,

Are you going to the club meeting on Sat. 9/2? Your shots for the gallery here are beautiful. Talk to Saturday's presenters, they span a lot of experience. I have two kinds of cameras--both a good point-and-shoot (really more for sports & stuff), and a DSLR (mainly for astrophotography). Tripod, lighting, and manual controls (available on good p-and-s's) are all important.

Hy

I am using a Canon EOS Rebel T5 now and like it really well. You know the answers will be all over the map on this. It is kind of like asking what lathe to buy. John Lucas has some good posts on cameras. Secondary if you get a DSLR is the lens and it is preferable to use a zoom . I think Bill Boehm will have some good input also.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I recently purchased a Nikon D5600. Its perfect. Like Gerald said, you will get lots of difference answers on this... I use mine to take pictures in the shop of my work, and of the steps included in the how to articles for the magazine I work for...

At Sams club Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera Lens Bundle with EF-S 18-55mm IS and EF75-300 III Lens is $549. I have a Canon XT that I have taken over 50,000 photos and a Canon T2i that I am approaching or past 20,000 photos. As important as the camera is your lighting and backround.

Go to a shop where you can ask questions and maybe even have a demo for various cameras. Box stores aren't good for this. Hard to find someone who is knowledgeable on items carried in the store. One thing I would suggest would be to consider a lens that would be efficient for close-up shots. Be aware- they can cost more than the camera.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
At Sams club Canon EOS Rebel T6 DSLR Camera Lens Bundle with EF-S 18-55mm IS and EF75-300 III Lens is $549. I have a Canon XT that I have taken over 50,000 photos and a Canon T2i that I am approaching or past 20,000 photos. As important as the camera is your lighting and backround.

You can buy the same camera and lens kit directly from Cacon for $449 (doesn't include the EF75 - 300 mm lens): Canon EOS Rebel T6 + EF-S 18 - 55 mm IS

I bought a similar bundle that included the EF 75-300 mm lens for $100 more than the Rebel XTi and EF-S 18-55 mm kit. While the camera and basic EF-S 18-55 mm lens are excellent I wasn't impressed with the EF-S 75-300 mm telephoto lens because of low contrast caused by inte internal light scattering, distortion, chromatic aberration, purple fringing, and focus softness between 200 and 300 mm focal. But for $100 it's not too bad. I gave mine to another forum member.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here is a very nice mid-price zoom lens if you buy the camera body and lens separately: EF-S 18-135 mm zoom lens

It covers most of the focal length ranges for everyday photography as well as shooting woodturning. Most of my woodturning and portrait photography is done at about 100 mm focal length and the camera about 8 feet from subject. Photography is like woodturning in that the sky is the limit when it comes to spending money.

Back