• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chucker pad oddity.

I got the chucker pad from Craft Supplies today. The stem it's mounted on is threaded, the part that goes into the headstock-mounted drill chuck. Just seems odd to tighten up on a threaded rod. No customer service on a weekend. Your thoughts?

Cannot see the mount in the catalog. If You do not want to mar the thread due to possible future purchase of MT with female thread, then you could wrap in tape or make a split mandrel of wood and put over the threads. Oh and one more possible is to put 2 nuts tightened against one another at several places on the thread and place that in the Jacobs.

toldja!

I got the chucker pad from Craft Supplies today. The stem it's mounted on is threaded, the part that goes into the headstock-mounted drill chuck. Just seems odd to tighten up on a threaded rod. No customer service on a weekend. Your thoughts?

Jamie,

I toldja last week or so about the threads. Nobody listens to me. Do they have an emoticon for whining and sniveling? :D

That is a replacement pad for a dual action air sander, no doubt fits other things too. Go down to the hardware store and ask for a connecting nut, they go by several names but that should get you one. Bring the pad to match the threads. The connecting nut looks like a nut but will be about an inch long. Either glue or locktite it onto the pad threads and you now have a six sided hex shaft to grab.

Hu

Jamie,

I toldja last week or so about the threads. Nobody listens to me. Do they have an emoticon for whining and sniveling? :D

That is a replacement pad for a dual action air sander, no doubt fits other things too. Go down to the hardware store and ask for a connecting nut, they go by several names but that should get you one. Bring the pad to match the threads. The connecting nut looks like a nut but will be about an inch long. Either glue or locktite it onto the pad threads and you now have a six sided hex shaft to grab.

Hu

Too funny, Hu. I remember the part about the air sander, but I didn't sink in about the threads. Have Locktite, will travel. Thanks!

Cannot see the mount in the catalog. If You do not want to mar the thread due to possible future purchase of MT with female thread, then you could wrap in tape or make a split mandrel of wood and put over the threads. Oh and one more possible is to put 2 nuts tightened against one another at several places on the thread and place that in the Jacobs.

Yeah, they sure don't show it. The mount (threaded rod) is very short, might be hard to make a wooden mandrel for it (have some Ipe that would work great though!). I'm going to try Hu's idea, go down to Ace tomorrow. Thanks for mentioning MT w/female thread. Who knows, there might be one in the stuff I got with the lathe, will check.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill.....Where do you purchase your PowerLock discs and adaptors.

I've been getting them at CSUSA and Packard, but wondering if there is a better/cheaper source.....

ko

I bought them at the local Woodcraft store. That was a few years ago and I don't believe that they still carry them. I thought that their price was really high so don't look to them for a better deal.

Still trying to get back to the lathe.......

Jamie,
[Snip]The connecting nut looks like a nut but will be about an inch long. Either glue or locktite it onto the pad threads and you now have a six sided hex shaft to grab.

Hu

Well, only running 2 weeks behind. Got the nut today. Thought I'd try it without Locktite, since the direction of the lathe spinning should keep it tight (please, correct me if I'm wrong). Also, yesterday I received the sanding kit from Vince's -- back-up pads, innerface pads, and discs in two sizes. Am thinking I could get one of his 2" flex back-up pads, stick some leatherette on it and turn it into a small chucker-pad for these steep-sided bowls I seem to be so fond of.;)

Back