Cleaning face shields

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Jamie Straw, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

I looked for a thread on this (thought I saw one a couple months ago), but couldn't find it. The face shield on my Bionic Shield is pretty gicky, so I did a quick Amazon search. Have my eye on this Nova kit but wondering what you use for general cleaning (Novus kit has scratch repair also). If you know where the old thread is, you can just link me to it.

2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Goo-Gone, Simple Green (the lemon scented one that isn't green despite the name), and Go-Jo (not the one with pumice) are what I use. Use the Simple (Yellow) Green after using either of the others in order to remove greasy residue. A microfiber cloth can be useful. There are cleaning kits for LCD TVs and computer monitors. Stay away from glass cleaners like Windex. There are restoration kits for polycarbonate which is same as Micromesh. That is a lot of money and elbow grease, but for less money you can get a couple replacement visors.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Chuck Lobaito likes this.
  3. odie

odie

Page 9, post #90, AAW How-Tos, Tips, and Techniques forum, click here:

http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/sho...shop-and-quot-evolving-shop-quot-photos/page9

I've been using Novus #1 and #2 for a long time, and am very satisfied with my results for major clean-up and scratch removal.

For minor clean-up, regular eyeglass cleaner and a cotton cloth.

Both are made specifically for plastic, and are safe to use.

Products like Windex are not good for plastics, because of the ammonia content.

ko

4. Brian Myers

Brian Myers

Soap (dish detergent) & water then Meguiar's Plastx (available at Walmart and many other places in the auto care section)

Bill Boehme likes this.
  5. Bill Weaver

Bill Weaver

I use soap and water bare hand to wash the clear plastic that is removed from frame. Then dry off with old bath towel.

6. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    I forgot to mention using overlay sheets that are available for the 3M Airstream, BreatheEasy, and Versaflo. They are low cost and disposable. I believe that the sheets are polycarbonate since they are very durable. They could be used with other faceshields by trimming the corners where they protrude past the edge. I usually add tape around the edges to heed dust from getting between the visor and overlay sheet.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  7. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    -:). I always do what the dust tells me to do too :)

8. hu lowery

hu lowery

a lifetime of practice . . .

I have a lifetime of practice ignoring dust. I only listen to shavings.

Hu

9. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    ... and, I have a smart *** iPad that thinks it knows what I want to type (but, I'll admit that "heed" is funnier than "keep").

So, you guys think that I should listen to what the dust says or just ignore all of "their" advice? Should I even admit conversing with wood dust?

10. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Hmmmm, I'm kinda surprised you use Simple Green (either green or yellow), as it's an extremely alkaline solution (pH 8.5-9.5), which is why it cleans so well. My impression is that's not healthy for the plastic. You haven't had any problems, though, sounds like. I found this article about cleaning motorcycle windscreens and face shields, figured it would be a start on info. I didn't know Go-Jo has a product without pumice -- what's it called?

11. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Thanks for the link, I'll keep it bookmarked. I think one thing that really gicks up the shield is wet shavings. Makes shield sticky.:( I succumbed to temptation and used Simple Green on it a couple of times, perhaps a bad idea. I'll try refurbishing it, get a new one if need be.

12. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

We're going by WM tomorrow, I try not to shop there, but will take a look for the Plastx -- it would be the quickest way to get started. Thanks!!

13. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Those sound like a great solution once I get this one fixed or buy a new replacement. Thanks!

14. odie

odie

Thanks for the link, Jamie.......

Another thing that may be of interest is motorcycle windshield bug remover. I got some at the Harley Davidson dealer and use it often for dried bugs on my MC windshield. I do have to admit that I've never use, or don't recall ever having used this stuff on my face shield, because the eyeglass cleaner and Novus products have always worked for me. If I had some really stubborn sticky residue, I might resort to that......anyone else try this stuff on their face shield? I usually spray it on the bugs and spread it around with my hand to loosen up the dried bugs.....then wipe with a cotton cloth. It does a great job for that, and I'd imagine it would be just as good for stubborn residue on face shields, too.

I'd be willing to bet you can get the bug remover at Walmart, as long as you are going there anyway........

ko

15. odie

odie

One thing that's a bit confusing to me, is the article suggests cleaners with ammonia for polycarbonate. Look, I'm no chemical engineer, but a simple layman about these things.......but, my ophthalmologist told me to never use cleaners with ammonia on plastic lenses. I took her word for it on that, and have never used Windex for the better part of this century, anyway! :rolleyes:

ko

Bill Boehme likes this.
  16. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

I overheard the eye tech people talking about this awhile back. There's an optional coating that some (perhaps most) people have on their eyeglasses that the ammonia (even a tiny little drop of Windex, etc.) ruins. If they're not busy tomorrow when I go in (already had a trip planned), I'll ask them about specifically what it is. I stay away from ammonia, except for windows, figure there are no worries that way.

17. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

I use the overlay for the Trend Pro and have no problem with dust getting overlay and shield. Also the overlay can be cleaned just as the shield till so much CA or other contaminants make it worthless.

18. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

This is either the antisratch coating or another one that reduces fogging and gives clearer vision. Not these are expensive and are not likely to be on any visors that we would buy unless we go th the moon ( NASA).

19. Bill Boehme

Home Page:
    Do these products come in a plastic container? Do the products cause the containers to deteriorate? Undiluted Simple Green is a bit strong for some types of paint, but polyurethane paint which is used a lot in automotive paint these days is fairly impervious to acidic and alkaline liquids. The plastic that is used in face shields is polycarbonate which is a very tough material although most types of plastic containers are satisfactory for cleaners like Simple Green.

A pH of 8.5 - 9.5 is not a big deal. With my GERD, I suspect my stomach acid has a pH around 2.0. :rolleyes: Also, I'll bet that lye soap (which I also use for heavy duty hand cleaning) has a higher pH than Simple Green especially when the mixture ratio of fat and lye for complete saponification leaves some residual lye. I have been buying lye soap from a lady in Abilene, Texas and her soap is usually pretty mild compared to what my grandpa made.

The GoJo without pumice is called "GOJO[SUP]®[/SUP] Crème Hand Cleaner". There is also "GOJO[SUP]®[/SUP] ORIGINAL FORMULA™ Hand Cleaner" which doesn't contain pumice. My favorite one without pumice is "GOJO[SUP]®[/SUP] NATURAL* ORANGE™ Smooth Hand Cleaner", but my local hardware store stopped carrying it. There at least a couple versions with pumice: "GOJO[SUP]®[/SUP] NATURAL* ORANGE™ Pumice Hand Cleaner" and "GOJO[SUP]®[/SUP] Fine Italian Pumice Hand Cleaner" if you want to get fancy. I think that it is the same as the old regular stuff with pumice with a little marketing poop added. I noticed that there are also some new designer GoJo fragrances such as Lemon and Cherry Jel.

I don't like the stuff with pumice because it give me alligator skin and feels like I used sandpaper to clean my hands. The plain GoJo is bad enough about drawing the moisture out of my skin, but I follow it with something like Palmolive detergent or Soft-Soap hand soap. I have used Simple Green to clean my hands on a few occasions, but I don't recommend it.

EDIT: Don't use the stuff with pumice to clean your face shield. It will do a great job of removing all the goo, but you still won't be able to see through it.

20. Jamie Straw

Jamie Straw

Bill, all I know is everywhere I look, instructions are to not use highly alkaline cleaners on polycarbonate face shields or other "see-through" things (for instance, Lexan Polycarbonate cleaning instructions.) If you're having good results, more power to ya! I suspect that a container "standing up to" alkaline solution may be, in the manufacturers' eyes, different than staying very clear for see-through applications.

Thanks for giving me the name of the GoJo non-pumice hand cleaners. I had gone to their web site, but they have so many products, I didn't take the time to slog through them to find it. Pretty much a no-brainer (I would hope!) to not use pumice on one's face shield.:eek: I'm interested in trying the Novus kit that has the scratch repair in it on a couple pair of fairly expensive reading glasses to see if they can be revived. Then I'll try it on my face shield if it's needed.