• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Club Program Director

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
I would like to start a thread about being a club program director and learn about clever approaches others in this job have used. I find myself in that position in a new club that had its first meeting in March and has about 40 paid up members already. Many of this group are enthusiastic novices, two are professionals and two are more or less semi-pros. We are committed to bringing along the novices as rapidly and solidly as is feasible.

What is a good mix of demonstrators? One member would have almost all demonstrations done by club members to save money. I want some outsiders to come in that have some regional appeal to avoid becoming too ingrown.

Should we try to have 10 programs a year, leaving the other two months for the usual picnic and Christmas party? Or should we aim for 6 or 7 demonstrations and have sharpening frenzies, wood auctions, and "open shops" the remainder of the time?

I inform the club board of each demo/program that I have arranged as a courtesy. Recently I offered them 4 options and asked for their ranking. Some would like to have a three person committee make all the decisions, and it is my strong belief that they covet the job. I told them that until the next election I would continue to inform them in advance of the programs as a courtesy and that if the board chooses to have a three person committee do this job then I would no longer be available. Everyone is welcome to submit ideas and those who have have found that whenever possible those ideas have been used.

In my opinion the position of Program Director can make or break a club. A good one can build the club, a poor one can divide and destroy a club very quickly.

Let's hear about the good ideas and the potholes to avoid. Also, suggestions about good program ideas would be welcome.

I belong to Apple Valley Woodturners (Winchester VA) and Quad State Bodgers (LaVale MD)... most of the demonstrators at our meetings are from other clubs in the area.. Capitol District Woodturners has some great guys that come and show us a lot..
I would look into the other clubs and see if anyone would be willing to come over and show you what they do...
If you are going to the Virginia Woodturners Symposium this fall you might be able to make some great contacts..

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Ed,

The Chesapeake woodturners in Annapolis MD usually have 8-9 demonstrations a year.

These include 1 or 2 internationally known turners, 2 or 3 turners from neighboring clubs, 3 or 4 from our club and at least 1 or 2 panel type demonstration.

We try to get the name turners when they are passing through or doing a class at MD Hall so that the travel expenses are minimized. The Tidewater club in Norfolk has an informal exchange program in which a demonstrator from their club came here with the understanding that one of our members would do a demonstration for their club. Our members know a lot of the regional turners and they suggest ones to invite.
The panel discussions tend to bring out alternative ways to get to the same end. These have been on things like finishing, sharpening, doing arts shows, Christmas ornaments….. 2 to 5 member do short demos or talks on how they ….

The Capitol Area Club just ran a 1 day mini symposium. I was a great day divided into 4 rotations in 3 rooms which had two demonstration and 1 hands-on each. That was obviously a lot of work to put on but almost no cost and what a wonderful day for the newer and older turners.

My opinion: a few regional demonstrators one national demonstrator to go with the club member demos gives a good balance of injecting new ideas and drawing on the clubs own resources.

Happy Turning,
Al

Last edited:
Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Our club tries to get at least one big-name demonstrator each year. We had David Ellsworth last fall, Dick Sing this last spring, and Robert Rosand is coming in September. Members pay an additional fee over the annual dues to attend, and non-members are encouraged to sign up but pay a higher fee. We have a choice of a demo/lecture for one day, and/or a hands-on workshop the next.
We have a Tool Day each year, for which members pay a fee for materials to fabricate turning tools and accessories.
The board also try to schedule a field trip once a year--for example, touring the facilities of a pattern & mold making company was the last one.
The rest of the meetings are demo/lectures by members.

For our chapter, agenda decisions are made democratically by a 4-member board of directors, with full input taken from members.

Ken Grunke
webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners

Last edited:
Ed,

A program director can make or break an organization,in that you are right. The choice of demonstrators, aside from the monthly meeting demo, though should not be a unilateral decision. A three person committee doesn't sound, to me, as such a bad idea. Of course I'm sitting far away from your organization and don't have a clue as to its dynamics.

Website
sawsndust.com
The key to bringing in "big name" folks and managing the cost is generally to best leverage the time they are there. In addition to the "free" program during your regular chapter meeting, consider having the individual do one or two longer programs the day or weekend before that offer limited space and have a price involved to the member, such as $35 per head or so (higher for non-members). In this manner, you help defray the cost of the demonstrator significantly and provide multiple venues for folks to learn. BWT does this and I don't think I can remember any situation where the "private" demonstrations/classes were not totally sold out very quickly.

Personally, I prefer a mix of local demonstrators as well as well-known folks from around the world. The more we see...the more we learn.

Website
committee

Hi Jake,

As a concept, I agree that a three person committee sounds good. Let's propose a hypothetical situation. If the Chair of this committee has decent ideas and a plan and the other two are insistent on having their contacts come as demonstrators, and they work in collusion, then you have a mess. I liken it to having three people try to stand on top of the same basketball at the same time. From the point of view of the PD it would be like being in charge of a mud puddle, you have the job, but there is no control.

It is my contention that everyone wants to be PD and invite the big hats to come and have a chance to schmooze with them. But, when it comes down to it, they really don't want the job because of all the non-glamorous work that comes with it. There is a lot of e-mailing and hosting to be done. Some enjoy hosting and others do not. And some don't want the pressure to keep producing good demonstrators.

I have had exposure to three other clubs, one very large and the other two are medium sized. The largest club had a situation where it became a closed shop and there was friction between the PD and the board. Currently, in this club the new PD has received guidelines from the board, he follows them, and the club keeps right on growing because he does an excellent job. In the second club, the vice president is tasked with being the PD and that has worked very well for them. The VP when I was associated with them is a good friend and he told me that he got suggestions but never interference from the president nor others. The third club is having problems unrelated to the PD, but I believe a single person serves as PD.

It has been said that the most EFFICIENT form of government is having a benign dictator. That said, it certainly may not be the most desirable format.

There is evidence that committees can work well as PDs and that individuals can also function well if they accept input from the members.

Website
Name Turners

Hi Jim,

We brought in someone you probably know, Bob Rosand, for an all day demo and a workshop. I cannot imagine a better person to bring in for a novice-dominated new club. We charged $10 each for the demo and $35 for the workshop, which had 11 attendees, a maximum for my shop. Our net at this point is about an $85 loss, but when we auction off the things Bob made and left for this purpose, we will make some money for sure. Not bad for the fourth meeting of the club! Mark St. Leger came and helped in the workshop since he is a good friend of Bob's and he lives near us. With Bob, Mark and myself giving help where requested, no one was left puzzled for very long.

I concur with Al Hockenbery's opinion at the bottom of his post about a good mix for the year. Al is a good friend and former president of Chesapeake Woodturners. His leadership with the able assistance of Jeff Bridges has made that club an excellent one. I benefitted tremendously from my association with them. :D (I love using these little faces! ;) )

Back