• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Compact battery for 3M AirStream or BreatheEasy

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
In another thread about 3M AirStream filters, I mentioned that I'm using an alternative to the stock 3M NiCad battery.

This tiny rechargeable lithium battery lasts longer, and is a small fraction of the weight and cost of the original.

Because of its size and USB connectors, it lends itself to mounting on the helmet, eliminating a cord going to your belt.

I hope this gives some folk ideas for use in their own configurations.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/T0m9n9Iog7w

Thanks Alan,
Couple questions. The quick connects you used, are those like the ones you can get at the automotive stores or do I need to get them from an electrical supply place or radio shack.
When I wire them does it matter which wire goes where?

I'll probably do like you and get a couple of these since I have an iPad and iPhone. Thanks for taking the time to produce the video. Much appreciated!!
Brian

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Brian,

I don't recall which of the wires was hot or ground, but I used a meter on the battery to confirm which was which, and made sure the plugs/sockets maintained the correct polarity.

Pretty much any two wire connector will work. I got these at RadioShack and clipped off the little plastic wings that typically hold them into a faceplate.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I just annotated the video at around the 4:50 point, adding notes that there is a newer 3M AirStream specific NiCad battery that weighs less and charges quicker (with a newer charger) than the one from my BreatheEasy.

So for some users, the run time and charge time is comparable to my configuration. However the setup I use is a small fraction of the weight and cost of the OEM version.

Just more food for thought

Video and TREND AIRSHIELD

In the video you are showing a TREND AIRSHIELD PRO with a beltmounted motor/fan. Is that an earlier model? The shield advertised today seems to be a one-pease unit with fan,motor and battery mounted in the helmet. Have I missed something?

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Anders,

I do not show the Trend unit in the video, because I sold it when I got the AirStream. I mentioned it, explaining that it is also a one piece unit, like the AirStream.

I bought the BreatheEasy because I also wanted a unit that would handle organic vapors (useful for casting resins, or applying some finishes).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have not tried because I like to see and try before bying.

Very few of us have the opportunity to actually see one of the 3M PAPR units before buying because they are not found in woodworking stores. Generally, you need to find an authorized industrial safety equipment dealer which means for most of us buying it on the Internet. I doubt that anybody would be able to try them to see how they like them before buying. So far, I have not heard anybody say that they do not like their Airstream or BreatheEasy (except for the price). I have talked to several people in my woodturning club who were not satisfied with their Triton and Trend respirators. The Trend Pro is much better than its predecessor, but it does not have high efficiency filtration.

Thank you Billfor the information (I did not think of that USA is a large country with huge distances).
I will consider the Airstream or BreatheEasy units and see if I can afford one of them.
Anders

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Alan did not ask me to do this, and had no prior knowledge of my intent here, but I am posting in his thread here to endorse his battery set up. A little while ago he came over to my shop for the day and we spent our time working on this. Actually, Alan spent his time working on it, and I sat there and watched. We hooked things up temporary like, tried them out, and then started cutting and soldering. At the end, my Airstream helmet had been modified to use the new battery system, and my old wire that goes to the NiCad battery had been modified to use the same plug, so I could fall back on it if need be.

I have been using the battery Alan describes for a couple of months now, and it is working out very well. Airflow is good, battery life is great, the system is a lot more comfortable, and overall it is a lot nicer to use than the old heavy NiCad batteries are. The new ones charge faster too. Thanks Alan, for coming up with this idea.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill,

The question remains: Are you still reaching for your belt to turn the battery on and off?

Old habits die hard. < vbg >

A little backstory is in order here. When I first put this configuration together, I called Bill to talk it over. He's one of the few turners/teachers I know that I've always seen wearing a respirator when turning, and I knew if there were any potential problems with it, he'd surface them quickly.

I figured that if this would work for him, it would work for me, and for most other folk.

We explored some other items that could help with demonstrations... but that's for a future discussion < he says coyly >

Wouldn't you know it, my Tekkeon came in over the weekend. I went to Radio Shack to pick up the parts. They had some very cheap looking 2 pin connectors that I bought. Asked about the 1.3mm center pin dc jack and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I had the USB/pin cable with me in the truck(I carry one with me for my iPhone) and they still didn't know what it was. Said that if I knew what the wattage was they could order me a power supply(dc). At this point I realized that they not only didn't know if they had what I was looking for but that also didn't have a clue period about electronics. So, I pulled up a pic on Google and showed them what I needed and of course they didn't have one(or didn't know where to look).
I ordered one off of Amazon when I got home. I'll have to wait another week now. I've got one more store to check tomorrow, if they are still in business, that I bought some old tube sockets and a .25amp fuse from about 8 years ago. It really sucks sometimes living in a tourist town with no Industry around.

A little help needed here. I got the 1.3mm jack in but am not sure which to attach which wire to. I'm guessing I solder one wire on the pin and another on the tab correct?

image-3778283831.jpg

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Brian,

That is correct. The positive lead goes to the "tip" (the center), the negative goes to the "ring" (the edge)

Thanks Alan. Didn't want to screw it up. Had to have the dang thing shipped because no one here had any. 5 days and almost $9.00 counting shipping. I only want to buy one of them. lol

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Brian, if you get the polarity backwards, the blower will run in reverse. You will realize that the blower is running the wrong way if you start breathing dusty air while clean filtered air is being exhausted from the back of the helmet.

If you can borrow a muitimeter it will greatly simplify matters and help minimize the guesswork.

Last edited:
3m

Bill,
I have a 3M adflo and put a piece of foam in the top between it and the point on my head. it is much more comfortable and I wear it all of the time.

Ed Jarvis

thanks!

Alan,

Thanks for putting in the time to post this and make the video. I just retrofitted my airstream this morning with the tekkeon battery and it is a great improvement.

BTW, I took an old USB cable that I wasn't using, cut off the non USB end and wired it directly into the motor housing very close to the starting point of the original black power cable. This leaves an uninterrupted USB cable coming out of the airstream, and I have almost the original length of black cable (minus an inch or so) in case I ever want to switch it back.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Lars,

I considered using a dedicated USB cable, but decided that I rather liked the retractable cable that comes with the unit, as it makes it pretty easy to use the mini-usb adapter with the charger.

In any event... however you get power to the helmet is whatever work for you... there are no rules here <s>

Woohoo! Got it all set up and used it today. Man was my old battery weak.

Word of caution. Make sure to think about the size of wire before you solder anything. I soldered 16 gage onto the clip connectors then realized I should've used much much smaller wire. The pin connector was a bear to deal with and I ended up having to modify it to use it. Something I'll change out later. Also, if you put Velcro on the top you can set the battery where you can use the light on it.

Thanks again Alan for an excellent modification!

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Brian,

I'm glad you got it working.

One way to find a reasonable wire gauge is to look at the wires when you cut the 3M power cord. Then make sure that the wire is about that gauge.

You are right though, small seems to work fine... look at the flat wire of the retractable power cable that comes with the battery... it easily handles a 2.5 amp draw at 5 volts.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
What criticisms of the Trend Pro?
The trend already has an internally mounted 3.6 volt 8 hour battery

In watching this forum, the Trend is often described as heavier, and not as well balanced or comfortable to wear. I assumed this was because the Trend is fully self contained, while the 3M off loaded the battery to the belt. Wouldn't a lithium battery lighten the Trend? If the battery could then be place where the wearer found it most comfortable, would that make the 2 brands more comparable? Maybe I've misunderstood why the 3M seems to be preferred.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
In watching this forum, the Trend is often described as heavier, and not as well balanced or comfortable to wear. I assumed this was because the Trend is fully self contained, while the 3M off loaded the battery to the belt. Wouldn't a lithium battery lighten the Trend? If the battery could then be place where the wearer found it most comfortable, would that make the 2 brands more comparable? Maybe I've misunderstood why the 3M seems to be preferred.

I have a friend who has the Trend Pro and does not use it much because he says that it makes his neck sore because of the weight. Maybe I will see if he is interested in this weight reduction idea.

There is more to the difference than the weight of the battery. To me the biggest difference is the air filtration. I don't think that the Trend is certified to meet any industry standard for dust filtration. Additionally, it does not appear from the little bit of looking at my friend's unit that the Trend does as well to insure that dust is kept out of the face area.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill,

The Trend unit is built to European respiration standards for powered helmet respirators (BS EN 12941 - THP2)

I liked my AirShield Pro, but prefer the 3M AirStream. One nice advantage of the AirStream and BreatheEasy helmets is they have flip up faceshields. On the Trend, the shield is fixed in position and you have to tip the entire helmet back to move the shield out of the way.

The flip up shield is very handy when there are a few people in the shop and you want to engage in conversation.

I've mentioned before that many Trend AirShield pro users never bother to go through the procedure to set the balance of the unit. It's not surprising that they complain about it pulling forward or backwards, causing fatigue. When all else fails, read the instructions, eh?

The AirShield Pro uses a pretty small NiNH 3.6 volt 8 hour battery... so I don't see much of a weight savings by going to a Lithium... a couple of ounces at best.

Last edited:
Bill has the battery positioned where he can use the light if needed. If he needs to get into a drawer in the shop that isn't well lit then he can just flick the switch. It works great. Alan, you bidding on the Racal breathe easy with helmet on eBay. It seems to have garnered some activity.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Bill and I played with various positions for the battery. We both liked it on top, as the balance of the helmet is unaffected. Having the light available is a perk.

As far as that AH-5 I picked up on eBay, I had a good time doing a little unusual cosmetic modification. Tomorrow I will post a photo of my latest non-funtional, but fun tweak. I am not sure if I should call it FrankenStream, or perhaps the BLAir Stream Project.

I clearly need to get out more.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I am not bidding on the BreatheEasy... I am almost embarrassed to say that I already have three complete BreatheEasy systems (one a welders version).

I am hoping that they will breed.

Hey, some folks collect baseball cards...

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Those that know me, know I'm not much for cosmetics, but this was an entertaining little project.

Over the years I've been keeping my eyes open for deals on used 3M AirStream and BreatheEasy units. I've gotten some pretty good deals on eBay and Craigslist... especially when I didn't need anything.

I recently acquired a Racal AirStream AH5 (now the 3M AirStream AS400), and the white shell was a little grungy, so I had a thought... I wondered if I could create a black AirStream.

A few months back I bought some BreatheEasy helmet shells (just the black plastic, no other parts) from a guy on ebay, at a VERY reasonable price. Like all of the BreathEasy helmets, it was configured to accept the air tube that extends from the belt mounted blower into a pvc connector inside the helmet. This connector is the only significant difference from the AirStream's shell.

With some judicious cutting, I removed the inner pvc helmet connector and platform, leaving the outer oval so it now accepts the AirStream blower motor into the helmet, just like the AirStream does.

Then with my best Dr. Frankenstein attitude, I set about cannibalizing the AH5, moving its faceshield, motor and assorted parts to the new shell. I had a new headband, foam temple shields, and tyvek skirt... and used them in the new configuration.

Finally, I did the compact battery modification for the new-to-me (actually the oldest) AirStream.

So, why go through the trouble?
  1. It was fun (I clearly am easily amused)
  2. I now have what is likely the only black 3M AirStream helmet on the planet, rendering me incredibly fashionable, and admired by hoards of female PAPR enthusiasts
  3. If Bill Grumbine and I are in the same shop, with our helmets on, it will be easier to tell us apart

Of course, that last item also applies if Lauren and I are in the same shop <vbg>

The photos show the FrankenStream creation, the pair of AirStreams, and a bevy of BreatheEasy units (one a rather rare welder's version).

When the most recent of the AirStreams showed up, Lauren said "Are you done now???"

Oh, and yes... when I got the new little monster completed, and powered it up for the very first time, I yelled out "IT'S ALIVE!!!!"

Attachments

• Frankenstream_a.jpg
    Frankenstream_a.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Frankenstream_b.jpg
    Frankenstream_b.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Frankenstream_c.jpg
    Frankenstream_c.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Frankenstream_d.jpg
    Frankenstream_d.jpg