• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Construction of a Rose Engine Lathe...

I am in the process of ordering and then construction a Rose Engine Lathe and I was wondering if anyone else might have ordered the kits from the Northwest USA area and what their results were..?

How easy did the kit go together? Were there any problems? Things that you'd like to change?

Who's cutting motor assembly did you use and any comments on that aspect of the kit?

The templates - did you like to ones that came with the kit?

Thanks for any input...

Brad Glasse
Grass Valley, CA

Construction of a Rose Engine

Can you provide more information on source of kit? Thanks in advance, Shel

The "kit" is supplied by Jon Magill (I think), who is the author of the MDF Rose Engine how-to article that was published in the Spring 2007 AW. Links to all of the drawings and supplemental info for the article are located on the Ornamental Turners International (OTI) site...scroll down to about the middle of this page.

There is also an online forum dedicated to the MDF-RE, located here: http://ornamentalturners.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=40f78e05367e071d0e2601e73f29daa0, where you'll find lots of helpful info and lessons learned.

BTW, the OTI is a Chapter of AAW.

Attachments

• tn_jon-magill-rose-engine.jpg
    tn_jon-magill-rose-engine.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I haven't bought one, but a couple guys I know did, direct from Jon (he lives not a great distance from us) and they had no issues building and using them.

I'm told the learning curve is not steep, but it is long

I was talking about the one from Jon...

so thank you! I just wanted to get some input from people who may have actually assembled one of these monkeys, and their thoughts!

Thanks!

Back