• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Correcting bad bowl gouge sharpening video

John, thanks for the informative and useful tutorial.

In the first segment, it looks like you are correcting the grind on the bowl gouge freehand, ie, without a tool rest. Is that correct?

Second, do you have a source for the carbide tool stock?

Thanks, Tom, just a tad south in Douglasville, GA

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
TJ The gouge is in a Wolverine jig. I should have shown that I guess. However you would do the same thing freehand it would just take more skill.
You can buy HSS carbide cutters from any place that sells supplies to the metal industry. I usually buy them from either Enco or Grizzly or MSC. www.useenco.com www.grizzly.com www.mscdirect.com Pay attention to the shipping it can be more than the tools. I usually order 10 at a time when I'm placing some other kind of order for those companies.
By the way, I'm Hoosier by birth, Southerner by choice. Born in Brownstown Indiana. I was born in the same hospital as John Mellencamp and in fact my cousin married his cousin a bunch of years back so now we are related.

Thanks, John. Since we're on this subject, and I've created my share of uneven bowl gouges, what's your opinion of the cause? Too much time or pressure in one place?

Also, thanks for the info on the HSS carbine cutter stock.

If your travels get you down this way please call and we'll get together.

Best regards, Tom, a Muncie Hoosier originally.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You are right, the cause is simply too much pressure or to slow a speed somewhere during the cuts. I think people push to hard on the stone and they seem to think that you go from one side to the other without stopping. Well in a perfect world that works. Usually you have to slow down or make multiple passes on one section of the blade to get the edge ground correctly.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Where is Douglasville, Ga. I'll be demonstrating for the Dalton Area Woodturners next tuesday. If your not too far away come and visit. They meet in the Dalton High school woodshop.

John, D'Ville is 20 miles west of Atlanta on I-20. Thanks for the heads up on the Dalton demo...but 90 miles is a bit outside my Tuesday night zone!

Best regards, Tom

John-The audlio on the sharpening video was so garbled I could not understand a word you said. I believe the video was clear enough that the audio was not needed but you never know. Keep those videos coming, they are always helpful.

John-The audlio on the sharpening video was so garbled I could not understand a word you said. I believe the video was clear enough that the audio was not needed but you never know. Keep those videos coming, they are always helpful.

The Audio sounds fine on my computer just a little hot and maybe you could move the mic more to the side so your P's don't pop so much. Wayne try turning your sound down in the mixer you might have too much gain on the preamp.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've played the audio on 3 computers and it sounds OK. Well it does have the Pop's I'm using a cheap headset mike. I'll work with it along with all the other things I plan to learn about video and editing etc.

John-My old? computer is now defunct. Finallly hooked the laptop to a monitor and the sound comes through OK. Thanks for checking things out.
The only things more unpredictable than cars and unseasoned wood are computers.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Well I got in my car the other day (a 2003 Honda Civic) and it would not start. Something to do with the chip in the key. Well luckily I was home and woke up my son to try his key. It worked. Mine started working later in the day. If there's one thing in this world that makes me madder than a computer that won't work is electronics in a car. I simply don't need all that crap and it really irritates me that we have to pay for it. What would I have done if I was in a strange city late at night and #@$&@ Key would not work. I'd probably pull out my 45 and fill the sucker with lead and let it sit.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
George No they are just plain High Speed Steel. They are sold in 3" lengths and come in sizes from about 1/8" up to an inch. I buy the 3/16" for about 75 cents each. I buy 10 and still end up paying more for shipping than the cutters cost so I usually try to buy them when I'm purchasing something else such as milling cutters or collets for my lathe.
You can cut these things to size with a Dremel and an abrasive wheel. You can also file a notch in the corners with a triangular file, place them in a vice and break them at the notch by either using large pliers or a hammer. If you use the hammer put a rag over the bit so it won't fly across the room.
I usually make them about 3/4" long, shape them and then glue them into a 1/4" hole. You can also drill and tap the side of your bars so you can use a set screw to lock it in place. I do this on my larger tools so I can remove the bit to make sharpening easier. They can be sharpened on our regular white wheels quite easily.
They come pre hardened. I have silver soldered them plain steel for smaller cutters. The heat won't damage the hardening.

John, thanks for posting the video. Perfect for me as my sharpening skills need improvement. The other thing i took note of is how balanced your grinder is where in comparison mine is all over the place. I'll have to address this perhaps starting with a new and better grinder. Go after the root cause instead of treating the symptoms.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Robin Remove the wheels and see if it still vibrates. If it doesn't then the problem is in the wheels or wheel to spindle contact. If your wheels are very far out of true they will cause the grinder to walk. Sometimes just truing up the front surface of the wheels will stop most if not all the walking.
If money is a problem buy the Woodcraft T shaped diamond wheel cleaning tool. Try truing with this. I did it for years. It's not perfect and something like the Geigerssolution truing wheel is much better, but it does work if your careful to not let it bounce while your truing it.

John,

Thank you for your responses. I find your videos helpful and informative. I, and many others, appreciate your willingness to share your time and knowledge with the woodturning community.

George

Back