• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cremation Urn info

Are there certain specs to go by when making an urn? My father recently passed and i thought about trying to make an urn for him. But don't know where to start so i start here. Dimensions, how does the lid secure or does it? Are there any laws i have to adhere to, etc Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave,

Check out Mike Mahoney's video on urns. It has lots of information. As a rule of thumb, each pound requires about a cubic inch.

HTH

Dave

Website
www.loseby.co.uk
Urn sizes

I use a screw thread and if I have any doubts about whether the wood is totally dry or not, I put an African Blackwood ring in to thread and with a blackwood insert to take the male thread.

Kindest regards and hope things go as well as possible over Christmas

Paul

A forum search for [cremation urn] finds two threads in addition to this one; both of them before your Join Date. They mostly address closure systems.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Dave,

Your local funeral parlor will be able to tell you about any state laws that might affect your design. Someone already referenced Mike Mahoney's Video on urns. It is a good video.

This is a wonderful idea for your father. I hope it goes very well. I have a feeling doing it will be a great source of comfort for you. My condolances.

Dave

Back