• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cross-cut bandsaw sled

G'day all,

Have seen several threads for ripping logs on a bandsaw, but only a couple on cross-cutting logs.

Has anyone made a sled, or seen plans for one ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Col

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have a very simple one. It is a flat board that has a small strip attached to the bottom to run in the miter groove. Then I have 2 boards on top of the flat one mounted in a V. The log sits in the V. Never cut a round long across it on the bandsaw without some sort of jig. It can roll on you and cause really dangerous problems.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Excellent John. I think a combination of the two things would be the best. When you put an odd shaped piece on the sled with the V you can put wedges under it to keep it from rolling. The strap would further secure it especially for those really odd shaped ones. I may have to modify mine this week to incorporate that concept.

Back