• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cyclone Seperator

bonsaipeter

Peter Toch
Has anyone out there have a cyclone seperator to remove dust from their work and machinery? What kind do you have and how do you like it? What are the pros and cons?

Peter

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have an Oneida 1.5HP and have been using it for a few years now. I love it and it is considerable more quiet than the vacuum and the two different Deltas I have had.

That said, I use it when I am power sanding at the lathe by hanging it on a pedestal that comes off of my light stand. I have a 5" hose that comes down from the ductwork in the ceiling. I have gates that drop to all the machinery in the shop and flip open or close the gates as need be.

It works great for catching sanding dust, but I have never seen anything that will catch all the shavings. Don't think I would want to anyway, as that means I would have to empty the 35 G barrel every weekend.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
I use a cyclone separator on each of my dust collectors and like them. I simply bought the cyclone lids from Grizzly Industrial and put them on large metal cans that fit the lids (30 gal I think?). You can make your own lids fairly easily but the lids are cheap enough to not bother with it for me.

- Don't use plastic cans. I never found one that was stiff enough to withstand suction on a couple of my bigger dust collectors. Stick with metal.

- The separator takes up space. I think it's worth it though.

- This sort of thing doesn't really matter for dust; just chips, shavings and large things that will fall out of the air stream.

- The can will fill up pretty quickly. But that's better than emptying the dust collector bags and some combo dust collectors with the integrated cyclone separators.

- I have 2 cans per each lid. One in use and one ready to use. Suction goes down really fast when the can gets full. See above.

- If you have a powerful enough dust collector, you can chain multiple cyclone separators together and get more separation storage before having to empty.

- Be sure to get a good seal between the lid and the can. I do this with foam seals (weather stripping works well) and such things. Get a good seal between the inlet and outlet on the lid as well. You can lose a lot of suction in those areas. You'll get some suction loss anyway with a separator but try to minimize it if you can.

Website
sawsndust.com
When I moved to this property, I bought an Oneida 1.5hp cyclone system (same as Steve's) for my dust collection needs. It worked as advertised, was very well built and was suited to my shop. When I expanded my shop and also added some larger machinery (14" MiniMax jointer/planer, etc), I upgraded to the Oneida 2hp Commercial cyclone. It's performance is outstanding.

I have a hood on an adjustable arm behind the lathe to use the DC system while sanding pieces. It's very effective and since I can position the hood right where it's needed, little dust escapes.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have one of the plastic lid seperators that fits the steel garbage cans. I love it. Best money I've spent. It is much easier to empty than the bags on the dust collector. I have the Jet and the bags are much easier to change than the older powermatic I had. The can is still much easier. It removes probably 80 percent or more of the debris. Since I've hooked this up I've only changed the dust collector bag once. I've emptied the cyclone can at least 10 times.

I use a shop vac and veritas cyclone lid for a 20 gallon rubbermaid roughneck can and find it to be better than my full size collector for most things.

Back