• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

DC vs AC Motors

I have been reading some threads about DC and AC motors and would appreciate confirmation on my understanding of both.

DC motors offer variable speed control at a lower price though you sacrifice torque on the lower speeds. You find these more on the mini lathes

AC motors (220v) with inverters are more expensive, offer variable speed control and you have good low end torque. You find these on the larger lathes.

Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks,

Bob

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't know the math but I've turned on a lot of lathes with both DC and AC variable speed. It's not even close in terms of the power you have at low speeds. I put a 1 1/2 hp DC motor on my Nova 3000. At low speeds even on the small pulley I could almost stall it with my hands. I put a 1 horse 3phase AC motor on with a variable frequency drive and would leave the belt on the middle setting. I could barely stall it using extremely heavy cuts at the slow speeds.
I spent 3 days demonstrating bowl turning on a jet mini with 1/2hp DC motor. At the slow speed of 500 rpm the cuts had to be so light I didn't think I would ever get the bowl round. I switched to a Jet mini with non variable speed and at the slowest speed of 500 was able to take at least a reasonable cut.
I'm probably wrong in my wording of this but DC motors vary the voltage when you dial them down and you lose lots of power. Variable Frequency Drives vary the frequency but leave the voltage closer to full power. You also have the advantage of having electronic braking which is really beneficial when turning large items.

Back