• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

De-bark

how do you get the bark of a burl???I have some maple burl that still as the bark on it, anyone know how to get it off???

Last edited:
elbow grease and a chisel & sharpened awl---I made an awl out of an old philips screwdriver whose tip had been stripped out.

Edit: a pressure washer works pretty well too, so long as its a flat spray and not a fixed point water jet......

Bob. on our Aussie hardwoods the best option, if you want to retain the nice underlying surface, is to water blast. If the bark is tough then a water blaster with high volume/ medium to high pressure. The usual low volume high pressure units ( cheaper DIY units etc) don't have the power that is created by a higher volume unit. It is very similar to sand blasting, in that you need a large unit and even then it takes time.
So if you can't afford them, find a brick cleaner with a larger unit and pay them to do it. Even with the corect gear it is very messy. But great result.

I have to disagree with Nate, if the bark is tough a fine point ( turbo head or otherwise) is better and get in under the edge of the bark, with enough volume and pressure it flies off in larger pieces. IMO
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Boy, Glenn, you have some HARD woods!! The only wood I honestly have tried it on was maple burl(red, which is considered soft maple), which was left a little hairy feeling if I used the focused jet. I guess its quite a bit softer than other woods....EDIT: it was definitely a low volume high pressure unit fed by a garden hose--Sears 7HP 2000psi or something like that, not an industrial model for sure.

Last edited:
I never did it with burl but Ash and Oak I just beat it with a club.Don't know why it works but the bark loosens up and comes of pretty easy.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I never did it with burl but Ash and Oak I just beat it with a club.Don't know why it works but the bark loosens up and comes of pretty easy.

For some reason, that just sounds mean.

I don't work with many burls but when I am trying to debark a lamp body I will use my bench grinder with a wire brush wheel. It seems to clean the wood up nicely, although be very careful not to go past any areas that will cause a catch. It will take the material from your hand quickly. If you have a variable speed grinder that helps; just turn the speed all the way down.

Back