• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deep holes

I did an advanced sort and could not find any answers to this question, so here goes.

I am a new wood turner and been building up my courage doing simpler projects.

I got this months issue of AMERICAN WOODTURNER and left it on the coffee table last night, this morning my dear wife shows me Joshua Friend’s article on Wooden Tubes and decides that this would be a project that would fit my skill level and give me experience and in addition she could keep her knitting needles in tubes sorted by size.

Of course it would be very nice if the holes were for individual needles rather than one large hole.

My question is, how do you drill a hole 5/16ths inch hole 8 inches deep?

Open for all suggestions.

My goof, this obvious lack of attention to detail my be one reason why my projects do not come out well.

I meant to type 5/32ths.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
My goof, this obvious lack of attention to detail my be one reason why my projects do not come out well.

I meant to type 5/32ths.

That small and that deep is sometimes very difficult as the bit easily wanders with the grain. You will have to practice patience and practice. I would just turn the outside and drill on a drill press. But I haven't seen the actual article, so I don't know for sure.

You could always make the tube, and then make an insert to glue in with a bunch of small holes for the needles. I have not seen the article so I am only speculating, but it would be easier

I would go with the insert if you make it like an inch thick it will keep th needles straight.If you want to get real fancy you can use 2 inserts connected with a dowel that could be used like a toothpick holder.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I like Jeff's idea of making some small insert circles with 5/32" holes in it. From my experience drilling long holes it would be virtually impossible to drill 5/32 holes and keep them from wandering all over the place. The bit will follow the grain I can guarantee it.

I believe you can get a 3/16 bell hanger or airframe type bit. You would then have another option to those suggested already--drill the hole in your blank, slide the drilled blank onto a 3/16 rod, and finish the outside of the tube. That is, if you want 1 sleeve per cylinder. You could also take a 2X6 and drill a row of 5/32 holes into the edge, but then you'd have to take her out to dinner someplace nice to earn any points.;)

Back