• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Distribution software for internet newsletter

Website
www.theokspindoctor.com
I am so impressed with the help I received from an ongoing thread about improving our club's newsletter! My next problem is how to convert the paper version written in Microsoft Word to the website without having to do all the HTML coding. Do you use Adobe of some other PDF program. I got an ad in the mail today for a $99 program to make PDF files. What do you who have done this suggest? I would like to keep it inexpensive if possible.

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
You should have the option to save your Word docs as web pages--my version of Word for Mac does that.
But I don't use it, it tends to add much extra to the html code. There are progams available to tidy up the HTML in those instances--I use BBEdit to write my webpages and it has that function but I don't know if it's available for Windows, which I assume you use (because most people do).
Here's an online HTML-tidy tool you might try:
HTML Tidy Online

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Word cetainly can convert to HTML as a SAVE AS, but it is seriously gloated especially with pictures.An almost easier way is to do it is to write it Word and if you use a GUI based web page utility, then you can probably cut and paste without too much work.
As far as PDFs, the Adobe software is about $250, and that would allow you to create a file to post it but not read it on the web page.

Website
www.sawdustbytes.com
You might take a look at Open Office. It contains a word processor that allows you to create and save in both MS-Word and HTML formats. There is little or no learning curve for those already familiar with the MS products. And it is FREE! The PDF encoder is an added bonus.

I have used it to create web pages when I wanted to do something quickly and not have to write the HTML code. Not sure about the amount of code bloat that it generates, but I am not sure that this should be of much concern for a newsletter.

It can be downloaded at http://www.openoffice.org/ and includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, etc.

So, if you want something that is low-cost, has almost no learning curve, and can handle just about any MS-Office compatible task, check it out.

Website
www.theokspindoctor.com
Randy Rice said:
You might take a look at Open Office. It contains a word processor that allows you to create and save in both MS-Word and HTML formats. There is little or no learning curve for those already familiar with the MS products. And it is FREE! The PDF encoder is an added bonus.

I have used it to create web pages when I wanted to do something quickly and not have to write the HTML code. Not sure about the amount of code bloat that it generates, but I am not sure that this should be of much concern for a newsletter.

It can be downloaded at http://www.openoffice.org/ and includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, etc.

So, if you want something that is low-cost, has almost no learning curve, and can handle just about any MS-Office compatible task, check it out.

Randy,

Thanks for the lead. My problem has been with the graphics. Text is no problem but placing the graphics is much more difficult. This product looks amazing and powerful. It is hard to believe it is free! THANK YOU our club members will be grateful!

Last edited:
Website
www.theokspindoctor.com
Randy Rice said:

Randy, I have to thank you again for turning me on to Open Office! Everyone else out there needs to get a copy. It is amazing the power available for free! Just to be able to make .pdf documents has solved so many problems for my club newsletter and my personal websites! I am looking forward to working with all the other modules, especially the multimedia presentation and the graphics programs. :D

Back