• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Does anyone have a Laguna lathe?

Just wondering if anyone had one or could compare it (18/47) to the Jet 16/42... Laguna looks better to me but the name isnt as well known to me.

Devin,
A good friend from another turning forum HAD one but had to return it due to something bad with the electronics. He said the physical part of the mach was great but it kept kicking off even after having a new headstock put on & their authorized service tech couldn't figure out the problem. They weren't very good service at all & finally let him return it for a full refund. I would not buy anything by Laguna due to the way they treated my friend I think I would got with UMH tool group (they make Jet, Powermatic)

Laguna has been making tools for a long time. This venture into the turning realm is the only new part. They've got a machine with great basics and stats, but one dissatisfied customer with an electronic megaphone can take its toll. I'd have no problem buying one from a dealer in my town who had her reputation to consider, but someone who is far away through the internet, perhaps not.

I met Recon's friend at the Richmond Symposium and several of us had dinner together. His problem might be an isolated case on the initial production run, but the way it was handled made me want to hear more favorable records first.
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1193174775;start=all

I like to shop Harbor Freight for things that don't get heavy usage. They don't have too many great products. I will never link them to quality. But I don't feel I am taking a risk, because they have very good customer service. If something fails, I was never hassled to get a replacement or exchange.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I looked at the lathe in Richmond. It looks nice. I just spent a lot of time with a friend looking at Bandsaws. There's was on the list. They make a line of really nice bandsaws. However we heard from more than one person who had problems dealing with the company. That's not a good thing. My friend bought a MiniMax.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
I met Recon's friend at the Richmond Symposium and several of us had dinner together. His problem might be an isolated case on the initial production run, but the way it was handled made me want to hear more favorable records first.
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1193174775;start=all

In my very humble opinion, I think post purchase service is even more important than the initial decision on a particular item. Everything is going to need service at some point. Some things will need it more or sooner than others. You can buy the best machine available, and if the service is lousy, and you can't fix it yourself, you are done.

In another area of endeavor, I sold all my possessions from a certain company, because their service stinks. Some of these items worked very well, and some didn't. Getting service on the ones needing it was next to impossible, so I got rid of them all and will not deal with them again, just for their poor service.

If a company puts out an advertisement, I think that they are trying to put their best foot foreword, rather than in their mouth. Laguna put out a demo/ad where the demonstrator was turning a bowl with a spindle ruffing gouge, a major "no no" for the last 30 or so years in wood turning. http://www.lagunatools.com/videos/lathe.platinum1.htm
If they took that much effort in producing a machine without knowing how it is to be properly used makes me suspect. It might be unfair to judge a machine based on shotty advertising, but it should make you wonder.

Aaron

Amazing video!!
Amazing statement, "Designed by Woodturners, for woodturners"

Some woodturners should have watched "Turned bowl made easy" first. I couldn't believe the gouge bouncing in and out in the opening of the promotional film clip. :D

Website
www.abhats.com
My experience with Laguna hasn't been negative, but when I was shopping for a larger band saw years ago I ended up buying a Mini-Max MM20. Although it has slightly better specs than the equivalent Laguna, what sold me was shipping from Texas vs. from California to Virginia. That cost today is even worse, and Laguna has no distribution network. You've got to pay the freight bill from them to wherever you are as well as the lift gate charge if you dont' have a loading dock. That makes a BIG difference to the east coast or even the mid west.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Laguna put out a demo/ad where the demonstrator was turning a bowl with a spindle ruffing gouge, a major "no no" for the last 30 or so years in wood turning. http://www.lagunatools.com/videos/lathe.platinum1.htm
If they took that much effort in producing a machine without knowing how it is to be properly used makes me suspect. It might be unfair to judge a machine based on shotty advertising, but it should make you wonder.

Aaron

Where he uses the roughing gouge is perfectly acceptable. On the outside for roughing. I suppose it is like any method, just because they do it doesn't mean it is right for you.

I have had Laguna bandsaws for a number of years and like thier products. Thier customer service can be iffy though.

Watching him try and stuff the tool into the wood is really sobering. I'm a regular user of the rougher on convex surfaces, but that's just plain scary. Nosing up into the rotation as they show is not only questionable from a safety standpoint, it's going to make a nasty rough surface, and a very tired arm. I hog wide, not deep. That way I get a lot of bevel to steady things.

To say something substantive, I see two things I don't like about the lathe:

1) The toolpost is centered in the banjo. I guess I'm spoiled by the 3000 with the side mount.

2) The tailstock extends forward at the base. It may travel 4.5 inches, but it looks like the first couple will just about break even. Tougher to swing a gouge or hook while using tailstock stabilization.

I have a laguna bandsaw. To call the customer service iffy is being kind. If you get the good you get PRETTY good. if you get bad then it's really not pretty.
Guess which I got?!
They are tool importers and really don't have a complete grip on the woodturners needs.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Watching him try and stuff the tool into the wood is really sobering. I'm a regular user of the rougher on convex surfaces, but that's just plain scary. Nosing up into the rotation as they show is not only questionable from a safety standpoint, it's going to make a nasty rough surface, and a very tired arm. I hog wide, not deep. That way I get a lot of bevel to steady things.

To say something substantive, I see two things I don't like about the lathe:

1) The toolpost is centered in the banjo. I guess I'm spoiled by the 3000 with the side mount.

2) The tailstock extends forward at the base. It may travel 4.5 inches, but it looks like the first couple will just about break even. Tougher to swing a gouge or hook while using tailstock stabilization.

Noticed that too, MM.....

He also didn't use the bevel of the gouge, but used in a scraper fashion.....and against the grain in some cases.

I suppose that video did serve the purpose of showing the lathe, though.

I also have a toolpost that isn't centered in the banjo. I would think the banjo would be in the way sometimes, if it were in the center. (photo to show this)

otis of cologne.

Attachments

• OWBS with spring (2).JPG
    OWBS with spring (2).JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Your picture points up my other objection as well. With the banjo being a couple of inches wide, and the base of the tailstock forward of the quill, you can eat up all the room between a bowl that won't clear the banjo and the tail pretty quick.

You can get some back by using a long live center as I do, but is the extra 2" length capacity brag really worth it?

As I've posted in the past, slicing with a big gouge is a piece of cake. Ripping is bad for the tool, the piece, and the operator. Look at the hack job in the still that precedes the video compared to a peel in stages.
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=PicturesfromGregs022.flv

Way he does it has to hurt!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I advise everyone to avoid using the spindle roughing gouge on the outside of the bowl as shown in the video.

What I see are a series of "controlled" catches.
Please don't be encouraged to use or try this method.

I've not turned on this lathe.
Laguna Band saws are great.

happy turning,
Al

KEW

Where he uses the roughing gouge is perfectly acceptable. On the outside for roughing. I suppose it is like any method, just because they do it doesn't mean it is right for you.

I have had Laguna bandsaws for a number of years and like thier products. Thier customer service can be iffy though.

Steve,
The blank appears to be in sidegrain orientation. At the very start, he is using the gouge with the handle parallel to the lathe bed. My understanding is this can be done.
However, later in the clip, he positions the tool perpendicular to the bed and goes into the side of the blank. Isn't this problematic?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Your picture points up my other objection as well. With the banjo being a couple of inches wide, and the base of the tailstock forward of the quill, you can eat up all the room between a bowl that won't clear the banjo and the tail pretty quick.

You can get some back by using a long live center as I do, but is the extra 2" length capacity brag really worth it?

As I've posted in the past, slicing with a big gouge is a piece of cake. Ripping is bad for the tool, the piece, and the operator. Look at the hack job in the still that precedes the video compared to a peel in stages.
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/MichaelMouse/?action=view&current=PicturesfromGregs022.flv

Way he does it has to hurt!

Yep.....I think you're right MM.......

I've got about a 4" travel with my tailstock, and hasn't been problematic for me.....yet!......but, I get your point, and for many applications, it's a valid point.

otis of cologne

Kew......

I believe what you saw is what I was referring to. I can't imagine any other result than major tear-out with his technique. For roughing a bowl, this might not be as much of a problem as for a finish cut, but depending on how much tear-out he's getting, this is likely to severely limit the shape possibilities when finishing the bowl.

otis of cologne

One interesting thing about that thread is hooj1 is the service rep for Laguna, his real name is Roman

I just went through the linked thread.
When I was going through a similar debacle with my Laguna bandsaw I talked about what I was going through on Laguna's own forum.
I wasn't very harsh but you could tell I wasn't happy. I received a call the next day from a "customer service" guy at Laguna and he tried to ream me out for posting my experience on the web. The next time I spoke to him he straight out told me he would overnight my replacement parts if I went onto the same thread and told how Laguna made everything better.
I never got satisfaction and my wife would shoot me if I ever mentioned a Laguna tool again. My good friend who was looking hard at a Laguna bandsaw bought something else locally.
Sorry but reading about people who have had experiences similar to mine make my blood boil all over again.
Laguna get a big thumbs down from me.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Why take a chance on a company with little lathe experience?

I posted the following in This Woodcentral Thread and still think it is valid advice:

I have a Laguna band saw and a Powermatic 3520a. You are not just selecting a lathe, but a company and an "installed base." Laguna and WMH (parent company of Powermatic and Jet) have both provided me fine after sales service over the years. Laguna is new with the consumer lathe business and is a relatively small company. They are best known for their combination machines, and band saws. New lines come an go with Laguna. I am pretty sure they mostly sell re-labled equipment made and designed by others, with some spec adjustment on their part. It is a guess what their staying power will be in the tough lathe business. They don't work thru a dealer network, it is all direct sales with some pressure cooker sales persons who in general will know nothing about lathes. I believe they are trying to expand their business into the consumer turning phenomenon. Jet and Powermatic lathes are long proven designs with a huge installed base that have only gotten better over time, and WMH continues to invest in their improvement. Look at the nice upgrade to the 3520b which reflects on the input from respected tuner Nick Cook.

With the Jet or Powermatic you will have a huge number of turners as a resource. You will find lots of turners locally with the same lathe. The internet has enormous amounts of hints and tips for either machine. See link as an example. You will also have an improved assurance that over the years to come you will have parts and service, which is not to say Laguna won't do their best, but they have yet to prove this product as a part of their sales plan and tech support skill set. I applaud Laguna for adding to our choices, but buying a lathe should be a conservative decision, with as few unknowns as possible. There is plenty to learn in turning without being one of the lonely few who own the lathe. From what you say it doesn't sound as though you are in a position to be taking a chance with a new product from a small company just getting started in the lathe business.

This is my 99 cents which is 97 cents more than I have given this forum before. Good luck.

Jerry

I posted the following in This Woodcentral Thread and still think it is valid advice:

I have a Laguna band saw and a Powermatic 3520a. You are not just selecting a lathe, but a company and an "installed base." Laguna and WMH (parent company of Powermatic and Jet) have both provided me fine after sales service over the years. Laguna is new with the consumer lathe business and is a relatively small company. They are best known for their combination machines, and band saws. New lines come an go with Laguna. I am pretty sure they mostly sell re-labled equipment made and designed by others, with some spec adjustment on their part. It is a guess what their staying power will be in the tough lathe business. They don't work thru a dealer network, it is all direct sales with some pressure cooker sales persons who in general will know nothing about lathes. I believe they are trying to expand their business into the consumer turning phenomenon. Jet and Powermatic lathes are long proven designs with a huge installed base that have only gotten better over time, and WMH continues to invest in their improvement. Look at the nice upgrade to the 3520b which reflects on the input from respected tuner Nick Cook.

With the Jet or Powermatic you will have a huge number of turners as a resource. You will find lots of turners locally with the same lathe. The internet has enormous amounts of hints and tips for either machine. See link as an example. You will also have an improved assurance that over the years to come you will have parts and service, which is not to say Laguna won't do their best, but they have yet to prove this product as a part of their sales plan and tech support skill set. I applaud Laguna for adding to our choices, but buying a lathe should be a conservative decision, with as few unknowns as possible. There is plenty to learn in turning without being one of the lonely few who own the lathe. From what you say it doesn't sound as though you are in a position to be taking a chance with a new product from a small company just getting started in the lathe business.

This is my 99 cents which is 97 cents more than I have given this forum before. Good luck.

Jerry

This certainly makes a lot of sense. I can highly recommend Oneway which is a lathe company, not a company that makes a variety of power tools. As a result, a great deal of effort clearly has gone into the design. Also, a large number of accessories are made by the company that are designed for their lathes though most of them work on other higher end lathes.

Lathes are highly specialized tools. It can be pointed out that unlike other power tools, it is the cutting tools that are handled by the woodworker, not the work piece.

It's a good idea for any wood turner to take a lot of trouble in their choice of a lathe.

Malcolm Smith.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Steve,
The blank appears to be in sidegrain orientation. At the very start, he is using the gouge with the handle parallel to the lathe bed. My understanding is this can be done....

The back (bottom) of the bowl blank, sure.

However, later in the clip, he positions the tool perpendicular to the bed and goes into the side of the blank. Isn't this problematic?

Cutting the sides of the bowl, sure, while I would not hold the handle level, but down (angled) so I am still using the bevel, I don't see any issues with that. Keep the tool rest close and the overhang to a minimum.

Website
www.james-mcclure.com
Funny you should mention that

If a company puts out an advertisement, I think that they are trying to put their best foot foreword, rather than in their mouth. Laguna put out a demo/ad where the demonstrator was turning a bowl with a spindle ruffing gouge, a major "no no" for the last 30 or so years in wood turning. http://www.lagunatools.com/videos/lathe.platinum1.htm

Aaron

I sent them an e-mail about this and someone from Laguna called me. It was the guy who's hands were in the picture. According to him, they were just testing the lighting for the photo and he picked up the closest tool which happened to be a spindle roughing gouge. Later on, the picture was mistakenly used in the ad. Maybe it was just an honest mistake, but it seems to me someone along the way would have noticed that the wrong picture was in the ad.

R

Ron Sardo

Alex

I suggest reading the previous posts in this thread.

If you feel saving $200 is more important than getting a good lathe... well it's your money.

I have had Laguna bandsaws for a number of years and like their products. Their customer service can be iffy though.

I will give some positive words for Laguna. They have the best band saw I have seen, I also appreciate their bandsaw blades.
Wyatt

Yeah I have read all of it. I figured by now Laguna might have gotten some of this stuff straight. New lathes always have a few kinks. Thought perhaps they were working fine now.

Laguna lathe: my 2¢

My buddy bought one of these about 6 months ago and I've been teaching him to turn on it. It seems to be an OK lathe with just a few drawbacks. It's fairly stable, after adding a shelf and about 400# of sand (bags) to the base. Replaced the tool rest with after-market ones. It was OK for spindle turning but if you tried to lower your tool handle much below level, the tool was now contacting the lower(rear) edge of the rest, putting your tool tip that much farther away from the work piece. Already required replacement of the tool post locking handle and the complete tail stock assembly. Laguna did replace these free of charge but it still took several weeks each time. The tail stock quill had no thrust bearing of any kind inside the tail stock housing. Just metal on metal, so every time you cranked the tail stock center forward, it wore the metal off the inside of the rear end of the housing, until after 3 months, the quill fell out the back. I don't know if it is just this unit, but when you turn the lathe on, there is about a 3 second delay where nothing happens, before it kicks on. Couple that with a fussy switch that frequently has to be hit more than once before it engages, starting the lathe up can become quite aggravating. I'm tempted to just turn the speed dial to zero instead of using the on-off switch. Seems potentially dangerous to me, though. Any thoughts on this practice?
Other than those things, the lathe operates satisfactorily. It is amazingly quiet. I believe Laguna buys these by the container load from China. If you google "wood lathe manufacturer" you can quickly find what appears to be this exact lathe being advertised by suppliers from China, albeit with minor differences like the spindle size and thread. Here's an example:

http://burt.manufacturer.globalsour...g-machine/1002301680/Wood-Working-Machine.htm

An earlier post references one of these lathes sold in Canada with a different spindle spec. The Jet lathes look remarkably similar and might come from the same factories. If they do, hopefully Jet has required higher spec's from them.

All in all, I am not completely unimpressed with the Laguna lathe, for the cost. I applaud Laguna standing behind this (I won't say "their" because I don't believe they actually manufacture it) product so far. I just worry that other cut corners might show up down the road.

Alan

Back