• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Double stick tape

Any thoughts/advice re: using the double stick tape sold for attaching turnings. Is it strong enough? Do many of you experienced guys use it?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
It's been a few years since I've used double stick tape for mounting a turning, but it works very well for lightweight turnings. If used to attach a waste block, the best way to take it off is to reverse it, and turn it off with sharp tools.

Joe is right.....difficult to remove any other way, than what I explained above.

ko

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have used it a fair amount. Used it just the other day to flatten a segmented ring for a project I'm working on. I remove the item from the tape using a guitar string tied between two handles and sort of sawed it off. On thicker turnings like platters I simply pull it off or drive a thin knife blade through the joint. Be sure and use the thin wood turners tape. regular carpet tape doesn't hold well. there was another thread recently on using double stick tape and the discussion also included hot glue.
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?11876-Hot-glue-episode&highlight=double+sided+tape

Website
www.billbulloch.com
I use it all the time to hold flat pieces on the lathe for cutting the rings on those Dizzy Bowls. They are hard to remove, especially on those thin glued up rings that are 1/4" thick and 3/4" wide (they will break easy). I have learned to use only as much as necessary to do the job (it don't take much) and remove with a razor knife.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I use it quite a bit for turning small discs for medallions or ornaments.
These have convex curve so I use a scrap piece in the Chuck with a matching convex.
Also an easy way to hold 2" diameter rings.

I have started using it in some demos. Since it is an easy to use technology the audience can find lots of uses for.
And they enjoy watching me fumble with removing the backing that seems like it takes hours in front of people.

Getting it to release is sort of an art - a light steady pressure and it will yield.
If I can't get a grip to start the release I slide my knife between the tape and the mounting block this gives enough lift to start the release.

I use the tailstock to apply pressure to make the tape hold well.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Al I struggled with removing the backing from double stick tape for years. Then I saw Alan Zenriech slice across it at about 45 degrees with a razor knife and then stick the tip of the blade into that cut and just lift each half off. Doesn't work every time but sure works better than trying to lift up one corner. Thanks Alan.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Al I struggled with removing the backing from double stick tape for years. Then I saw Alan Zenriech slice across it at about 45 degrees with a razor knife and then stick the tip of the blade into that cut and just lift each half off. Doesn't work every time but sure works better than trying to lift up one corner. Thanks Alan.

Thanks John and Alan,
I will try that.

I Cut the ends at an angle and the sharp corner usually opens up.

I can see how cutting through the backing and not the tape would work well.
It is similar to the removable label paper I use, the backing is pre-cut at a 45 degree angle every couple of inches. Bending the paper near the cut opens the backing on both sides of the cut for easy removal.

Thanks
Al

Any thoughts/advice re: using the double stick tape sold for attaching turnings. Is it strong enough? Do many of you experienced guys use it?

Donald,

I've used the double-sided tape occasionally (the good stuff, not carpet tape) but my friend Paul has used it a lot on some pretty big chunks of wood, for example bowls 16" or so in diameter. This was back before chucks were widely available. His description: He flattened the blank and pressed it onto a faceplate completely covered with the tape. He held the pressure with a clamp or the tailstock "for a while" for maximum strength. He said the problem was not in the strength to hold the turning, but in removing the piece when done! He never had one come loose. Paul usually injected acetone into the tape with a hypodermic needle to soften it for removal.

My friend Joe uses tape all the time to hold parts on his metal lathes and milling machine. (Joe makes sure both metals are perfectly clean.) He has a different method for removing - he drives a very thin wedge a little into the tape, just enough to provide some pressure. Then he waits. Later, drives the wedge a little more, then waits. He said the tape will always release this way but very slowly. My experience with holding metal on the milling machine has been the same.

I can ask these guys for more details if you want. BTW, I use tape I bought at Woodcraft. It's real expensive these days.

JKJ

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I was doing some turning in the last few weeks that required either hot glue or double stick tape. The way I decide the difference is pretty simply. If I have a flat surface, the more surface area the better, the stronger the hold will be with the double stick tape. If The piece isn't perfectly flat or I don't have a lot of surface area then the Hot glue around the edges works a lot better. both are hard to get off. Heat gun works great on the hot glue but you still may have to either carve off the glue or get rid of it somehow if it's in an area that shows. The double stick tape comes off fairly easy if you can either wedge it up with a thin knife, or carve through it with a thin wire between two handles. In either case if it's stubborn something like acetone or mineral spirits will help.

Back