• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Dremel Lathe model 700-1 help needed

I have recently been given a used Dremel Lathe, model 700-1. I am learning to build miniature dollhouse furniture and wanted the lathe to learn how to turn 1:12 scale furniture legs.

I have not used a lathe before. This lathe is bolted to a board. On the right is where you put a piece of wood onto a pin and there is a large "nut" that can be screwed in to push the wood to the left. On the left is an oblong metal "sleeve" with a square shape inside it...also metal. It is all one piece.

Is this lathe missing something? Inside the "sleeve" on the left of the machine...how does the wood stay in there? Like I mentioned, the inside of this...uhhh...metal tube is square, but I don't see anything inside it to clamp onto the wood. Surely it needs to be clamped on both ends...?????

Also, attached to the wood platform is an Anker duplicator. Can someone explain how I use it, please. I see that its duplicating arm with sharp metal point tilts upwards and is able to slide back and forth on the horizontal, bolted down shaft. There seems to be a wood fence for the duplicator to rest on, and this one has a sharp piece of metal screwed horizontally into the wood fence...that looks like it might be a metal pattern for making a spindle leg. Are there other metal patterns like this available? How do I use it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm in over my head and decided to come to you guys to help me out. Feel free to send diagrams, photos...whatever might help me out...to my email address...and thanks! Thelma

i feel for you

only thing i can think of is call the dremel people and see if the have instructions online or if they can mail them to you luck :) :)

You don't need to clamp the end in the square end side. The pressure from the tail stock is all that is necessary. The square end tubing is for holding square basswood or whatever strips you buy. I made a whole set of these "chucks" using different sizes. I soldered the square tubing onto a brass round rod so it fits a jacobs chuck. Also, most of the brass tubing is telescopic, meaning the next size tube will fit into the smaller tube. Consequently, you can make one large square chuck and have several smaller sizes cut into short lengths. Just slide the tubes into each other until you are down to the size you need. I think you can get this type commercially from Doll House people.

The duplicator simply has a pointer to follow a pattern and the cutter does the cutting. I don't know if brass or wood patterns are available commercially or not. I always made my own since I did mostly turnings for a specific piece of furniture, developing the pattern from scale drawings. You can also use a turned wood pattern.

Website
www.zionfire.com
Rather unsatisfying little booger!

I've got one of these little lathes. I am trying to use it with youngsters to intro them to lathe work.

I've played with this thing and have to say that I am not finding it very satisfying or stable. I think that there is supposed to be what Dremel has designated as a spur center. The spur is a JOKE, IMHO. The spurs are very, very slight, and the point is more like a pimple. The square drive might be tons more secure. Maybe I'll look into that...see if the spur comes out. Currently, even using a razor saw to provide the spur channels means that the first slightly aggressive cut makes the blank go off center and begin to wobble violently.

I also have a Jet Pen Lathe that we're using in the same setting. VERY nice little lathe that is stable, better built (IMO). Not without its obvious limitations, and not without significant lacks (tool rest size, strength, and adjustments), but still can cut wood and do a nice job.

FWIW, YMMV.

Thanks for your help

I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies to my Dremel Lathe questions. I was able to download the lathe manual and also obtained a DVD for the Anker duplicator from another company. I rounded up a few missing parts and will attempt to learn how to use these two machines in the next couple weeks. I certainly appreciate all your advice and wanted to let you know. Thelma

Back