• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drill Chuck Question

Hello everyone -

I acquired this drill chuck in a box of stuff and wondered if I could possibly use it as a tailstock chuck for drilling. My lathe is a Delta with MT2 tailstock. This drill chuck is marked "Golden Goose" JT6. Can this straight shank be removed and replaced with the correct adapter?

DrillChuck1.jpg

DrillChuck3.jpg

Thanks!
Mark

most generaly i would say yes. look on the chuck it should be marked if it has threads or a jacobs taper for the shaft. usually next to where the capacity of the chuck is stamped. places like mcmaster-carr, grainger, littlemachineshop.com, or a local machine shop supply store should be able to get the one that you need. even an ebay seller "800 watts" has some.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
What you need is a #2 morse taper to Jt6 taper arbor. Check www.use-enco.com part # 290-3236 for the import or 890-9531 for the Jacobs brand. You'll need a drill chuck removal wedge part # 240-2667 although I would ask them to make sure this is correct.

What he said. But your tailstock may not have a window for the removal wedge. On my cheapo HF34706, the tailstock winds back far enough to self-disengage the drill chuck; doesn't use the wedge.

Also see Grizzly's G1434.

You've probably noticed that you can get an entire chuck for the price of the adapter, and one less place to slip. My "Golden Goose" chuck, complete with pelican logo was still 19.95 when I last looked. Keyed, the way I like it.

Back