• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drying green Olive wood

My neighbor has given me several sections of freshly cut olive wood. The tree was living and therefor very wet and dense. The logs are cut thru the pith and are end sealed. I plan to turn bowls, pepper mills and salt and pepper shakers. I will be rough turning the bowls next week and hope to dry them with out cracking the wood. I will also rough out the pepper mills and prebore an undersized hole to also speed up the drying.
Can anyone suggest any special ways of storing the wood to prevent cracking?? I have not had good luck in the past. The bowls range in size from 5" - 8" in diameter and approx 2" to 5" high.
Any suggestions and comments welcomed. Thanks,
Al Geller

Al,
I have had good luck drying all my bowls by just roughing them out, anchorsealing them and storing them in a brown paper bag. I have dryed hundreds of them that way and had few problems with cracks.
I weigh them after three or four months and then write the weight on the bag to keep track of weight loss. Whne they stop losing weight, I finish them. Gary

Back