• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drying large dimension wood for sculpture & carving

It seems wood sculpture is becoming part of the AAW per a recent cover story and gallery photos.

So my question is how are these large, thick pieces dried to prevent cracking? I know about turning wet wood to over thickness for drying, then re-turning. I've also been led to believe kiln drying only works up to a certain thickness.

Maybe certain species can be kiln dried in thicker sections? I recently gave a 6" x 6" by 4 foot piece of dry Alaskan yellow cedar to a native carver, that piece (I think) was dimension-ally beyond the kiln drying capacity of most woods.

I would look for large maple.....4' to 5' wide...quarter it and go from there.....if you want it dry put it off ground and in shade....probably take @ least 2 years before working....you sometimes can find that large of cherry but not much chance of large piece not cracking......suggest you drive big S in ends for support......Do not think large piece can successfully be anchorsealed......problem.....probably take 2 years to see if it would work.....easy to find oak in size if you want a challenge to carve......will be interested following thread and opinions

Back