• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ebonizing

I have read about ebonizing with a solution consisting of steel wool in vinegar. One of our club members has ebonized several pieces of Bradford Pear using this solution and it turns out to be a beautiful black/blue color.
I have been trying to do the same thing. I have put a #0000 steel wooll pad into a plastic pint bottle of white vinegar. My understanding is that the steel wool should disolve in a couple days. After a week, it looks like new! I tried the solution anyway and you can hardly tell I put any on (after 3 days) and I really soaked it. What am I doing wrong? The club member is at a loss as it works for him. Help!?
Thanks,
Ed

Try washing the steel wool in some dishwashing liquid first, before putting it in the vinegar. 24 hours in vinegar should do the trick but the steel wool won't disolve and doesn't need to.

It might take more than one application of the "potion". I've used 2 or 3 on walnut.

Good luck,
Bob

Back