• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Experiments in Drilling Holes in HSS

This was prompted by a reply on another forum about not being able to drill HSS to make homemade woodturning tools.

Of course the observation is correct if we're talking normal HSS drill bits because drill and material are the same... but what about different drilling methods and drill bits?

After doing a bit of on-line searching I decided to conduct some experiments with a piece of 1/2"x1/8" HSS (4" long for about $5). I also bought a 5mm diamond core drill which I thought may do the trick.

So, first of all I tried the diamond core drill with water as a coolant/lubricant. In a drill press with 300rpm it started ok but even with a pecking approach and a putty dam filled with water the diamonds soon wore off and I was left with an annular groove about 1mm deep.

I then tried to use a dremel with a small pointed AlOx grindstone. This was very slow but effective, provided I kept dressing the stone on a devil stone frequently to remove the glaze build-up. Grinding from both sides I managed to meet in the middle but the hole was too small.

One of the tips I read on-line was that tungsten carbide masonry drill bits would work, particularly if sharpened, and so I tried a Bosch multiconstruction bit in the dremel'ed hole. This type of bit has a sharpened carbide insert to permit it to drill wood masonry and metals. With drilling and tapping fluid it worked just fine. First a 4mm followed by a 5mm bit went straight through!

OK so that's enlarging an existing hole but what about a fresh hole?

First of all trying the 4mm multiconstruction bit gain... It required a dremel ground dimple to stop the bit skating around but progress was really very slow - Too slow. The problem seems that the bit just isn't really sharp enough at the point to get an initial "bite". So the bits are ok to widen a pilot hole but not to form a new hole.

So, the final experiment was to try a spear-point tile drill and, as luck would have it, this turned out to be the solution. These bits have no flutes but are just a teardrop shaped piece of tungten carbide on a shaft. They have sharpened edges. It still needed a dremel'ed dimple to start off but a 5mm spear point tile drill taken slowly (~300 rpm) in a drill press with cutting and tapping fluid cut a nice clean hole through the toolbit. Unfortunately the bit I had was already used and not of very high quality and chipped during the process but was still able to make it all of the way through.

The good news is that these bits can be obtained pretty cheaply and you can pick them up for about $2-3 each and so I think that it is possible to make your own cutters with 5mm holes. My 4" toolbit will easily make 4 cutters (dremel cut-off wheel to separate them) and even at a new tile drill bit per hole, they'll work out at about $4.50 each which is cheaper than commercial bits.

I hope this proves useful to someone.
Jon

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jon There are drill bits that will do this. They are made by I believe, maddogtools or something like that. They are very expensive. I looked at them. What I did was to simply grind slots in the bits instead of drilling holes. I use cut off wheels in my angle grinder. A slot means that you don't have to remove the screw if you want to grind the bit flat on a tool rest. It's faster to get it out and you don't lose the screw.
I did break down and buy one of the drill bits. They work by friction. You have to run the tool really fast. When the drill gets red hot it will drill right through the HSS. At slow speeds they just won't drill through the stuff.

Gil, John,
Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the idea of the slot - particularly reducing the chances of the "screw in the shavings" fun ;)

This is just a thought and I'm not a metallurgist, but in your experience does getting the small pieces of HSS red-hot during drilling affect the hardness of them as cutters? Or are there any special precautions you can take to keep the edges cool?

I say this because during the drilling I carried out I tried quite hard to keep the HSS so that it didn't change colour at all. It was never too hot to touch so I'm pretty sure I didn't affect the temper.

I know HSS is tollerant to high temperatures in use but I'm also pretty sure that the tempering temperatures will be below red-heat.

Jon

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
HSS tempering temperatures are way up there. You won't hurt them by drilling or grinding them even if they get red. Now if you kept them bright red for a while you might. When I looked up the heat treating of HSS I found it to be way beyond what we can do at home without a custom heat treating furnace. The main thing I learned was that it will handle red heat without damage. Well maybe if you quenched it you could cause some cracking but letting it cool naturally was no problem.

John,
Thanks for the information.

... It'll certainly make me take the perennial HSS grinding wheel colour discussions with a good pinch of salt in future ;)

Jon

Grinding HSS - red colors

HSS tempering temperatures are way up there. You won't hurt them by drilling or grinding them even if they get red. Now if you kept them bright red for a while you might. When I looked up the heat treating of HSS I found it to be way beyond what we can do at home without a custom heat treating furnace. The main thing I learned was that it will handle red heat without damage. Well maybe if you quenched it you could cause some cracking but letting it cool naturally was no problem.

The tempering temperatures of HSS are generally in the 1000F - 1025F range. This is the temperature where color can just begin to be seen in a reasonably dark room. That is why one does need to be careful when grinding any tool. Even short excursions in temperature will cause the very edge of the cutting tool to soften. John is correct that HSS have good red hardness, but this is relative to non HSS tools, which have no resistance to softening at red temperatures. See the following link for a pdf file of the color emitted by steels at various temperatures. You will note that at 1000F color is barely perceptable.

http://www.ogdenmfg.com/pdf/tekcolor.pdf

Fortunately, the tool mass acts as a heat sink and dissipates heat quickly, so if you are reasonably careful during grinding you will have no problems. But glowing red cutting edges during drilling or machining are being damaged. A bright red edge will have been at 1300F and the tool will have softened 5-10 HRC points in hardness. While this will still cut wood readily, it will dull quickly while drilling steels.

Jerry Wright - retired V.P. - Techology, Crucible Specialty Metals

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
When I drilled holes or cut slots in HSS it did turn red right at the point of entry. However the metal turned blue and then yellow less than 1/8" from the hole. For this reason I'm guessing it did not hurt the rest of the steel.
Since I will possibly be grinding or cutting quite a bit of steel away from a HSS parting tool does anyone know if it will damage the cutting edge. It probably won't be a problem since sharpening it will be quite easy. It would be nice if it would hold an edge for a while though.

John - as long you are redressing the edge carefully after drilling or slotting, you will remove any damaged material and will have a good tool. I would plan on or expect perhaps 1/64" to 1/32" of damage if you really got the material warm during grinding or milling. Even at 52 HRC, a HSS tool will cut wood for quite a while.

Jerry

Back