• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Face shield cleaner?

Well, since my last posting I have learned more than I gave so this time someone please tell me an effecive way to clean my face shield. With every try so far it seems I end up with a blurry mess. Any suggestions?

OBTW, it seems to me that more members of AAW could contributed to this forum and make it into a "home base". AAW is our "home" organization and this forum need our support to become the powerful exchange that it should be. Just one man's opinion. Phil :)

Windex or any number of cleaners including water will do the trick. Applying Rain-X or a similar product afterwards will aid in keeping it clean and make future cleaning easier.
However, if you have the bubble style sold by CraftSupplies and others, the enclosed directions tell you not to use any cleaning product including water, they will leave your faceshield a blurry mess. With that type shield/mask use a dry, clean, soft cloth.

I've heard that a light wiping with a dryer sheet when clean will work wonders for reducing static cling and maintaining a clean shield. Got one at home and will try it in the next couple of days.

Dietrich

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
dkulze said:
I've heard that a light wiping with a dryer sheet when clean will work wonders for reducing static cling and maintaining a clean shield. Got one at home and will try it in the next couple of days.

Dietrich

Make sure it's been used once in the dryer, Dietrich. You WILL get a foggy mess if you use a brand new one with all of it's active ingredients still all over it in full strength. It'll just smear on your faceshield.

I've been doing this for many years for TV's and computer monitors.

TY Andrew. I figured I'd do that or just wipe it very lightly. I have an unsented one so less crud on it.

dk

Face Shield

Well, so far so good! I am ahead on knowledge gained and have lost nothing. Truly, this forum has much to offer those of us who are meer novices and experts alike. Thanks for the contributions, and please, add your own. Phil :)

Since I turn almost exclusively green wood my problem isn't dust but sap, especially when roughing and turning the outside of a bowl or vessel. Throws the shavings straight at me. For this I simply wipe down the faceplace with a damp paper towel and dry it off with a dry one. Works for me

Whit

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I use the used dryer sheets to keep the static down. I've recieved several tips on covering the mask with different materials. I'd have to look them up but Bruce Hoover sent in a tip on plastic replaceable covers. I've gotten a couple of people sending in tips on using sarar wrap to protect the lens and tossing it when it gets dirty.
Don't use CA glue remover. It will make the plastic shatter. That was a tip complete with photos from Bill Westerbeck. You could put the cleaner on and it did take the glue off but if the plastic was then stressed even a tiny bit it cracked in 3 inch long streaks all around the oringinal place you put the cleaner.
For mild scratches try White rubbing compound from the automotive store followed by a mildly abrasive paste wax. I use johnsons floor wax.

Website
www.dickgerard.com
Face Shield Cleaner

If you go to any motorcycle shop that stocks stuff for moto-cross, they should have the "tear away" face shield covers that will work on most face shields. I took my face shields (all 3 of them) with me and made sure they fit.

Nice thing is when one gets cruddy, just rip it off and now you have a nice clean view ... for a while anyway. Then just repeat the process.

When I turn green wood I usually just take a bath in the water that's flung off ... and since I wear safety glasses, I just clean them. I reserve the shield for dry woods and sanding.

Oh, in case you are wondering why 3 face shields?

One is always lost,
One is playing hide and go seek with the first one and the last one hangs off the end of the lathe to remind me to try and corral the other 2!

-e-

starting today, on the far side of the moon
Website
www.Studio-E-Artworks.com
Don't use anything but water on some!!!

I use the bubble mask. The shields are coated with a anti-fogging substance and therefore, cleaning consists of soaking in water for a few minutes, gently rubbing off the gunck, and then air drying, carefully not touching the screen until it's dry.

If i used anything other than this technique, I get a blurred mess (I know from experience).

If your face shield is scratched, or has hard-to-remove crud on it, use some Novus Plastic Polish. #3 is for heavy scratches, #2 will take care of most needs, and #1 is a cleaner. This stuff is widely available at hardware stores, and some woodworking & turning suppliers also carry it.

ssinner said:
If your face shield is scratched, or has hard-to-remove crud on it, use some Novus Plastic Polish. #3 is for heavy scratches, #2 will take care of most needs, and #1 is a cleaner. This stuff is widely available at hardware stores, and some woodworking & turning suppliers also carry it.

I use this on my regular shield. Do Not Use it on the bubble shields! You will end up buying a new shield.

Back