• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finial/No Finial?

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
This piece is 10 inches in diameter by 23 inches tall. The foot is rosewood. I put a foot on it because I intended to use a rosewood and boxelder finial... It's pretty imposing already, I'm wondering if a finial might be overkill, so your impressions/opinions would be greatly appreciated and strongly considered.
As a side note, it's the tallest piece I've ever done. It's the first piece that I used the Kobra deep hollowing system that I recently acquired. I don't see how I could turn anything taller on my Mustard Monster... I don't have room in my shop for an extension.
TallBoxelder.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
George.....whether you add a finial, or not .......that will be a beauty. since you are asking for an opinion, I don,t mind giving mine.....I think a finial could make what is already great, even better! :D

Can,t you make the finial, and then decide?..... Or do you have to commit once started?

-----odie-----

I attended a finial demonstration at SWAT in Waco this year. The presenter made an interesting point. She said that a finial's purpose is to draw attention to the vessel--not to the finial. It's like an arrow that says "look at this nice vase". So, if you finial this one, make sure that the viewer is not distracted away from the beautiful vessel you made. I'm sure that it will be stunning either way.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Odie, I'll probably make a finial (or two). If I can't use it on this piece...?

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
I agree with the herd (sorry about that Odie). A finial might well be the finishing touch to an already magnificent piece. I do think it will balance the foot if you do as you mentioned. But then that's just my opinion. I'm partial to finials.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
On this piece I would say no finial. My reasoning is basically what John Turpin said that he learned at SWAT and what I learned from a class with Cindy Drozda several years ago. The beautiful flame box elder is sufficiently attention grabbing all by itself without the need for additional help. My opinion is that a finial wouldn't add anything and possibly would become a distraction.

My basic philosophy is to have only one distinctive feature so that the viewers eye isn't being pulled back and forth between competing points of interest. My only suggestion would be to bleach the piece to help frame the bright red with a stark white form.

My idea of a successful finial would be if I asked someone what they thought about the finial that I put on a piece and their response was that they didn't notice the finial because they were focused on the body of the piece.

I consider Cindy Drozda's work to be the gold standard. When viewing her work, I don't see a finial sitting on top of a piece ... what I do see is a beautifully flowing form in which the finial is an integral element. In order to achieve this goal, the whole thing needs to be planned as a whole from the very beginning. To ask the question of whether or not to add a finial once a form has been essentially completed, I feel is a missed opportunity.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I would go for the finial. Especially since you already have the foot on it. It would tie the two together.

It's screaming for a finial in my opinion. When done if doesn't look good save it for later !
although it's gorgeous by itself !

But this is what happens, ask a question and you will get so many different answers, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What do you think it needs?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If I have a question like this.
I answer it by making a couple of test finials and Not making any permanent changes

I might try a 2” finial and an 8” finial then I look at
You a can also draw them on the photo but I like looking at the form.
I might have some finials in a drawer that will give me visual feedback.

If a finial looks good the I start refining diameter and height.
I might turn several finials until I get one that belongs.

George, it might just be best to let this piece sit in my living room for a year or so while you decide. Why rush this finial decision? ;)

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Thanks Bill,
ANOTHER well stated perspective, and the reason I asked in the first place.
I was leaning toward finial, but was unsure that it would add not distract.
My path forward is clear, no finial (to start with). Just a ring at the neck. Then I'll either KNOW that it's done or come crawling back for

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Finial.....no.

I'm more into "form follows function" and a finial IMO has little function.

It seems to me finials have almost become a cliche in turnings.

Doug, you have a good point here. And it's hard to disagree that doing a "me too" finial is overdone (guilty :). But a thoughtfully designed, well-integrated finial can certainly enhance an already fine piece of work. I think of Cindy Drozda or Avelino Samuel here.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
This is the finished piece. I'm going to take it to the show with just this small rosewood collar.TallBoxelderNeck3.jpg

Back