• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finish clarification

In lookiing at Mike Mahoneys site I see he has directions for the care of his bowls:

"This bowl is a great kitchen utensil, used to serve food. After use simply hand wash with warm water and mild soap, then let air dry. Please do not soak it in water or put it into the dishwasher or the microwave. Occasionally recondition with walnut or mineral oil. With proper care, this bowl will last for generations."

Does this only apply when you use an oil finish?

How do you take care of a lacquer or poly finish? Would adding oil at a later date hurt anything?

Thanks,

Dave F.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Dave, if you are not going for a built up finish but one that basicly is in the wood pores then using mineral oil later is just fine. I use a thinned down poly and buff back to the wood. I went over to this system from just using mineral oil maybe 15 years ago. When I get a bowl back for repair that was mineral oil it looks horrible. If it is really dry I refinish with my poly system. If oily its hard to repair and all I can do is give it a buff. If my poly mix and it has not been slathered in mineral oil it looks good and repairs well. If you build up a finish it will break down with time(epoxy being the exception I am told). Cracks will open letting water and salad oils to the wood. It will then begin to breakdown the finish and turn it to a sticky black mess. It wont happen overnight. But it will happen. Unlike Mike I suggest you dry the bowl after washing. Also his walnut oil is special. He boils his oil so it will polymerise. He went through a lot to get his product to work. I know of no one who has used his oil and not liked the result.

Back