• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finish for Ironwood

About 15 years ago a friend traveled in the U.S. Southwest and brought me a piece of what he called "desert ironwood". The wood is VERY hard and is quite dark in color. I want to make some small items (pens, letter openers, toothpick holders, etc.) and would like information about a suitable finish. Would sanding sealer, lacquer and wax be appropriate for this wood?

Website
paulporterwoodturning.com
Ironwood finish

Dave,

I use desert ironwood as an accent collar on some of my hollow vessels. I finish lacquer and wax for the smaller pieces. For spheres and hollow vessels I use danish oil. It will take a couple of days for the oil to start to set up. Keep rubbing it down with a dry cloth and put a couple more coats on in the next week or so. Let it dry for another week, then buff it out. The finer you sand ironwood, the better the finish. I usually sand to 2000 grit. Let me know how it works out.

Paul

Dave,

The several coats of danish, euythane, or tung oil followed by buffing and wax are a great method, especially for hard, dark woods. For very small items, you can also do a CA finish (look around at threads for pen turning).

Paul,

I'm actually commenting on your tag line. Haven't you heard of electric chainsaws and really long extension cords? Rough up the stump a bit afterwords and tell em the neighborhood had beavers. Works for me.

Dietrich

Back