• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finished my lathe stand/bench today

I finally finished my lathe stand/work bench today. It's not exactly fine woodworking, but it's exactly what I wanted. It's made of basic materials. The top is 3/4-inch utility grade plywood, the legs are pressure treated 2x4's, and it's braced with 2x6 pine. Other than the top is 60x48, it looks like an average bench, but it only stands at 29". Perfect for turning (for me).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I finally finished my lathe stand/work bench today. It's not exactly fine woodworking, but it's exactly what I wanted. It's made of basic materials. The top is 3/4-inch utility grade plywood, the legs are pressure treated 2x4's, and it's braced with 2x6 pine. Other than the top is 60x48, it looks like an average bench, but it only stands at 29". Perfect for turning (for me).

Pictures?

Even if you think that it is just average, it could be just the right inspiration for somebody else in building their own lathe stand. Congratulations on your solution.

BTW, welcome to the AAW forums.

Congrats on the lathe stand. Feels good to see the fruit of our labor, and with the weather, sweat equity.
FWIW, I cut down the stand from my old HF lathe and put on a piece of old countertop. Works for me.
Edit: Welcome to the forum!

Pictures?

Even if you think that it is just average, it could be just the right inspiration for somebody else in building their own lathe stand. Congratulations on your solution.

BTW, welcome to the AAW forums.

Thank you. I didn't think think I was allowed to post pictures of it because its not a "completed turning". I guess I was confused by the wording of the rule.View media item 13586View media item 13585

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Sorry if I confused you with my reply. I meant to say to post pictures in this thread. You are correct that the gallery is only for pictures of completed turnings. I would have moved your pictures over to this thread if I was able to, but I didn't see a way to do that. Let me know if y ou need help in posting pictures in the discussion forum and I will walk you through the procedure.

Congrats, Brian, I know how great it feels to get your stand done and be in business! Just think how much fun it'll be to wake up Friday morning. "Whatever works" is my motto! I didn't have as much room as you when the little Comet arrived, so here's my effort:

Comet Stand_1ed_Rdx.jpg

Jamie and Gerald, those are both very nice. I wanted to go with more of a "bench shape" so I could fit multiple tools on it. It does take up a little more space than I wish it does, but oh well.

Jamie and Gerald, those are both very nice. I wanted to go with more of a "bench shape" so I could fit multiple tools on it. It does take up a little more space than I wish it does, but oh well.
No, that's good, it'll work great for you! I already have big bench space, since my Unisaw saw is way-the-heck bigger than I need (52" fence with corresponding table). My sharpening stand, which has 4 heavy-duty drawers is another square-foot-eater, and a bunch of other stationary and benchtop tools, so the Comet had to be on a very petite stand!

That's awesome, Jamie. I'm currently living in a rental house with no garage (lathe is in a rather large shed), but the next house will have certain... requirements. I definitely want a Unisaw. I know about the current Delta situation, but when I started cabinetmaking school when I was 16 years old, the whole shop was Delta so I that's what I love. I fully believe that by the time I get to buy a Unisaw, either Delta will be back on their feet, or aftermarket support will be good enough to make Delta a contender again.

That's awesome, Jamie. I'm currently living in a rental house with no garage (lathe is in a rather large shed), but the next house will have certain... requirements. I definitely want a Unisaw. I know about the current Delta situation, but when I started cabinetmaking school when I was 16 years old, the whole shop was Delta so I that's what I love. I fully believe that by the time I get to buy a Unisaw, either Delta will be back on their feet, or aftermarket support will be good enough to make Delta a contender again.
I lucked out when a semi-local cabinet maker retired and sold out his shop. A huge step up from the Jet contractor saw that was my first (or second after a cheap bench-top). If I were rolling in dough, I'd get a SawStop. I'm totally willing to admit to being mortal.:D I've met too many people with less than 10 fingers. But, in the meantime, just super-duper-careful.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

Hi Brian, and welcome to the forum. I agree, job well done. And there's no such thing as too much work space!:)

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef

Brian, that Delta is a great saw, But I have to join Jamie and her thoughts about the Saw Stop.

hey, looks like a thread has been hijacked and turned into a tablesaw thread! Sorry about that

I'd still suggest some angle braces or stretchers near the bottom. If you try and slide that around, the legs don't have much bracing. I also don't like my grinder around other machinery. The abrasive dust coming off the wheels will get on everything on that bench. Also sparking off the grinder may end up in sawdust generated by the other machines.

Brian, that Delta is a great saw, But I have to join Jamie and her thoughts about the Saw Stop.

hey, looks like a thread has been hijacked and turned into a tablesaw thread! Sorry about that
I agree that the SawStop is very nice. Not just for the safety tech, but I've also heard their quality is also top notch. It's also crazy expensive. Just me, for the money, I'd rather have a Powermatic PM2000.

I don't mind if this becomes a table saw discussion... LOL

Back