• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finishing bark.

I have made a njumber of small end grain bowls and goblets today where parts of the bark can be seen from both inside and outside surfaces. What is the best the best finish for them? So far I have tried plain mineral oil (my preference for cheaply sold items), BLO, and tung oil but have been rather disatisfied with one or more aspects of each of them. I have thought about running out to kmart and getting some clear laquer any thoughts.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Woodboy
This is just my personal favorite. I use Deft Clear lacquer thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner and I dab it on with a brush. I may put several layers on the inner bark area. This area is quite soft and the Deft seems to harden it making it easier to sand without leaving sand marks. It does clog up the sandpaper however so I try to use sterated paper if I have any.

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Whenever I make a natural-edged bowl with bark I always put thin CA glue on the outside bark after turning so as to seal it and make sure that it adheres to the wood. This is BEFORE I turn the inside. I try not to use an accelerant because it can whiten the CA glue. I like to sand the outside before turning the inside, especially the bark. Then I recoat the bark with CA lightly. After the CA glue on the outside is dry I turn the inside and then apply CA glue to the inside bark area.

The CA glue acts like a sanding sealer. The surface you get after sanding the bark is much smoother than if there was no CA glue used. I know some excellent turners who use thin CA glue as their finish.

Warning: This use of CA glue should be done with PLENTY of ventilation. And wear a face shield when you turn the lathe on after applying the glue. I have had droplets of glue that weren't dry strike the face shield.

Back