• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Finishing Captive Rings

Up until now, I've left pieces with captive rings either unfinished, or waxed by hand on and off the lathe. For a recent vase, I tried a quick and not-quite-dirty expedient for spray finishing.

I mounted the piece on a rotisserie drive (5 rpm), and formed some insulated wire fingers to urge the rings away from each other and the vase bowl and foot. The fingers are well clear of everything, to avoid their own marks and to allow the rings to drift. The fingers also have a drip curve, so that excess coating falls to the newspaper below. The rings swab the stem as the process proceeds, but left surprising little evidence. The finish is clear semi-gloss polyurethane, about 10 coats in close succession over about 4 hours to avoid sanding, then left the rotisserie running overnight. Satin might have worked better; gloss probably worse, but lacquer would have allowed subsequent polishing. (Minwax is silent about polishing PU.)

There's more than one way to skin a cat, so I'd welcome other ideas.

Joe

Attachments

• V2.JPG
    V2.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 204
  • V3.JPG
    V3.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
You can buff cured Poly if you care too. Most of the time it's not needed, because the final coat levels and shines on its own. Satin is softer as well as cloudy, so it's easier to hide poor sanding with the scatter, but may not polish as well, being softer.

Should have explained a little better: The only part that could benefit from polishing is the slight "footprint" left by the rings swabbing the stem. "Surprisingly little evidence" wasn't little enough. I'll try polishing the PU next time.

Joe

Back