• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First "Beads of Courage" box

I found out about this program a few months ago at a club meeting. What a great opportunity to use our skills and resources!

This is my first try, face-turned from a glue-up of cherry and basswood so I could carve the letters. On the lathe I used the method Harvey Meyer showed on his videos of partially turning all three blanks before gluing them - saved a lot of deep hollowing work.

BOC_A_comp.jpg

It's over 6" tall without the lid. The walls are thick enough near the bottom to make it bottom-heavy and hard to tip over.

I laid out the letters on paper then transferred the to the wood with graphite paper. The chip-carved letters were difficult since the words extended into the end grain.

The lip of the bowl is tapered significantly, as is the inside of the lid. This makes it very easy to replace the top since there is over 1/4" of play at the start, reduced to much less when seated. I think this also makes it look reasonably good as a bowl without the lid. I attached the knob with epoxy and a wood screw, hidden by the surprise BOC ceramic logo bead under the lid.

Our Knoxville club collected about a dozen boxes last night with a commitment of delivering 30.

BOC_A_club_IMG_5402.jpg BOC_B_club_IMG_5403.jpg

JKJ

Back