• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First lathe

Need some opinions on a good 1st lathe. From what I have been finding a PM3520b seems what most aspire to own. However price is now a factor. In 08 when I started developing an interest I took a class, really enjoyed it and even got quotes for the mustard. In 09, being self -employed, business went south so other things took priority. Change gears, Nova DVR, Jet 1642 EVS seem suited to both price and flexibility. Also 110v keeps rewiring to a minimum. Would rather start in the middle of the pack than with a midi.
Thanks
FWIW have been looking for used, no avail.

Last edited:
The first thing I would recommend on a lathe is true variable speed. This is vastly superior to the Reeves drive (a pulley that changes sizes within preset speeds) or changing belts on the pulleys, no matter how many pulleys there are. This is more important if you are turning larger bowls, in green wood, and the pieces are unbalanced. I do find the dial a speed (Jet, PM, Robust) better than the preset speeds and slow ramp up/down (Nova DVR) for my turning, but both work.

The other option I would look for is either a pivoting head, or a sliding headstock. I prefer the sliding headstock because that is what I have been using for the last 10 years, and the first pivoting headstocks had some alignment problems which are pretty much gone now. The biggest thing this does is to keep you from having to lean over the bed to turn bowls. A huge back saver. Both can turn over sized bowls, but bowls over 16 inch diameter really don't sell as well as they are more of a specialized item. Also, if you get into turning bowls, the only coring system that will work when the headstock is pivoted is the McNaughton, which for me is fine as that is the one I prefer. The Oneway and Woodcut won't work on them.

You really do get a significant power boost when you use 220. If you are using a 1.5 hp motor, you need a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

This would leave the Jet 1642 and the Nova DVR as the two best in this area and price range.

Do try to find the nearest club and join. You can often find used equipment before it gets to Craigs list or E-bay.

robo hippy

I've had the DVR four 4 years now, and I like it more today than I did when I bought it. I think it's a fantastic lathe, and there are no belts to change. I like the pivoting headstock because I don't have much shop space, but if I had more, either pivoting or sliding would work for me. The DVR is prewired for 110V with a 1.75 hp motor, but you can rewire it for 220V and get about a 1/2 HP power boost. I've never used it at 220V, and have no desire to since 1.75V has been enough for anything I've ever needed. I know that the Jet is a more massive lathe, but other than that, I don't get what others see in it. To me it just seems to be a basic, no frills lathe. With the DVR, you can build a stand as massive as you want.

I'm sure you will be happy with either one. Just my $.02.

Matt

Website
www.tobinhillturning.com
I really like my DVR. Here is a thread that I started. http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=5555 When I purchased mine I had some space limitations and still do to some extent. What I really like is mine is a short bed lathe 99% of the time but when I need a longer bed I have 46" between centers because of the swing away hinge. It is also a great place to park the tailstock when not needed. I do some teaching and have done some Demos on a Jet 1642 It is a good lathe and granted it is not ballasted like mine but it is no where near as stable or smooth.

I also like the rotating headstock and it is a great feature when when hollowing bowls. Very easy on the back. I built a "Massive" stand for mine which IMHO made an already great lathe better. Overall I would buy mine again in a second.

Alan

Back