• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First Natural edge bowl

In the works. Started it this morning
20170830_163648-XL.jpg

20170830_163706-L.jpg

20170830_163719-L.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Hi Raul,
Looking good. My eyes are getting old but it looks like you have a combination with a cut rim flowing into a natural edge.
Looks like it will work nicely without the Bark.

One thing I have been doing on most of my NE bowls is to go footless. Leave a round bottom.
It amazes people that they don't fall over and gives a great visual where it sits on the table.

Hi Raul,
bowls is to go footless. Leave a round bottom.
It amazes people that they don't fall over and gives a great visual where it sits on the table.

I've been considering that exact thing. A deconstructed bowl doesn't need any more than to be absent a footing. I've also been thinking of accent color balls for feet. They can be placed to tilt the bowl.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Love to see a pic of the footless bowls. Thanks

This NE bowl is footless but you cannot see it in any of the photos. I'll try to remember to shoot one tomorrow
Don's Plan is a 15" footless sandcarved NE camphor bowl IMG_4411.JPG

I do have HF photos of a footless HF
ANASAZI II is a sandcarved and painted camphor HF turned from a log section with a small hollow. IMG_4409.JPG

Window to window view from the other side IMG_4410.JPG

This is the bottom the sun petroglyph is pretty close to the bottom center
IMG_4408.JPG

Very nice Raul, looks super for your first NE bowl. I rough cut my first green regular bowl yesterday. Great job! Happy turning.

Back