• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

First real turning, tips / suggestions.

Ok, this is my first non-pen turning.
They are 7 1/2 and 7 inches accross. Mineral stained poplar. I figured I should post this to get some tips. I will never do a straight edge like that again. It is a PITA to finish!

64800_3.jpg

Hi, Doghouse.

When ya turn the thin, wide stuff, you have to account for both varying flex on tool contact due to change in grain direction, and for change in shape due to release in tension of the wood. A good way to do this is to turn the outside edge when there is still some meat to the piece. Once it is turned, ya just gotta leave it alone.

You can make minor modifications by bracing it with your hand behind where the tool is hitting but this will hurt if you blow the piece up and won't work once the piece is out of round due to tension release. Make sure and wear a glove when doing this.

The other option is sanding. Don't press on one side without bracing on the other. This will help keep it even. You can also wrap the sandpaper around and do the inside and outside of the edge together by pinching it. This is my preferred method because it works well maintaining consistant thickness with slight out of round.

Past that, beautiful work!

Welcome to the world of non spindles!
Dietrich

trick

Doghouse, If you have ever turned automotive brake drums and rotors then you'll understand this "trick." Go to the local tire store and talk them out of a "blown-out" radial tire innertube, they're real rubber. Cut several strips of various widths across the tube so as to have big rubber bands. Rough the outside of the piece then stretch 2-3 rubber bands around the outside and turn the inside. The tension of the rubber bands will help maintain shape and reduce chatter.

Back