Five Pens Sent Out

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by John Torchick, Oct 3, 2017.

1. John Torchick

John Torchick

I took five pens to a wildlife agency seminar and somehow they got lost under a box flap. I wound up giving them to some key people in the agency. When I turned them in to the secretaries (who really run the show), they went wild. Got order for two pens and another secretary said to send her some pens and she said there would be no trouble selling them. They went out today.
    They are from left to right-
    Bolt Action, Gun Metal, wood unknown.
    Cartridge Bullet- Woodcraft Gold, tinted pecan.
    Bolt Action, 24K Gold, unknown wood
    Lever Action, Antique Brass, Certified Jim Beam wood.
    Cartridge Bullet, Woodcraft Gold, Desert Camo.
    IMG_20171002_150507728.jpg

2. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Looks like sure-fire can't miss pens. Great work.

The picture is rather underexposed because the white towel is fooling the camera's metering. I would bump up the exposure by at least +⅔ stop or more as long as the background isn't blown out.

3. Richard Coers

Richard Coers

Personally, I have a strong dislike for gun related pens. Especially now. But I suppose there will always be a market for pens as well as guns.

Fadi Zeidan and Bill Boehme like this.
  4. Emiliano Achaval

Emiliano Achaval

Home Page:
    Nicely done!! I never seen the lever action one!! I have traded Koa for some bolt action pens....

5. John Torchick

John Torchick

Thanks.
    Robert, I can understand your comment but this forum is not the place for an in-depth discussion.
    The late commentator Paul Harvey made this statement, "We have plenty of gun control. What we need is self-control."

6. John Torchick

John Torchick

Bill, I had the setting on the camera for taking pictures of Bigfoot. My son says it is necessary to take fuzzy pictures of Bigfoot. :D
    I understand- have lots of other colors that I can experiment with to get a clear photo. Thanks for the tip. If I recall, there are some threads dealing with this topic.

Gerald Lawrence likes this.
  7. John Torchick

John Torchick

I'll go through the towels and see what I can find. Have a lot of colors to choose from. I'll experiment with a tan or gray color. I'll see about posting pen for critique.

8. Bill Boehme

Bill Boehme Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Definitely don't use a colored towel ... yuk. In fact, don't use any towel or anything textured or glossy for a background. You don't want people admiring the background. The background should just disappear into the ... uh, background. A plain smooth neutral background is best. The word neutral has a different meaning to a photographer than it does to a decorator. To a photographer (or anyone dealing with the science of human vision), neutral means no color bias ... in other words light that is white, gray, or totally dark without any tint of red, green, or blue. White posterboard paper is okay, but can be difficult to get a proper exposure of the subject. There is a particular level of gray that photographers use that they call middle gray or also known as 18% neutral density gray. It works satisfactorily for setting the exposure level of most subjects. Finding gray posterboard that is truly neutral is a challenge ... typically it will be blue-gray or brown-gray. If you can find gray posterboard that looks to be neutral that is probably good enough for use as background paper. It will cost a lot less than photography background paper.

9. John Torchick

John Torchick

That would warrant a trip to Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Thanks, Bill.

10. Ely Walton

Ely Walton

Just curious, John... what price will you set on the follow-on orders? Thanks for sharing!

Ely

11. John Torchick

John Torchick

I don't have a set markup as yet but testing the waters at this time, so to speak. Pricing depends on the market. I know one pen maker who adjusts accordingly.
    Used to live around the corner from you- Salisbury, NC.