• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Floor stand for tool rest

I've got a Jet 1642 and need a floor stand for my tool rests to turn some large platters, bowls, etc. outboard. Checked with southern tool the other day, and they want $320 for the jet floor stand plus $80 shipping. Seems really extravagant for what it is. Anyone have any solutions or know of a good model that'll work that's not so pricey? Even the delta, I believe, is $300 plus shipping, last time I looked. Buddy of mine and i are toying around with idea of building one, but that's tricky, too.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
I've made 2 of them for friends for about $10 worth of spare parts that I didn't have already in the pile. It' might be worth around $100 if you need to buy the parts from a junkyard and buy welding services from someone though.

The first one was just a 5 gallon plastic bucket that I filled with concrete and put a 2" diameter galvanized pipe into. After that set up, I filled the pipe with concrete (could use sand or lead shot, etc. too) as well. The top end of the pipe was threaded and I just used some fittings to reduce down to the size I needed. Then welded together some 1" steel rod to make some toolrests. Quick, easy, cheap and heavy enough to not want to move it around if you don't have to.

For the second one, I substituted an old milk can (it stands about 3' high and is around 18" wide) for the plastic bucket and filled it up with concrete. I also used some 4" diameter well casing for the stand inside of that (again, filled with concrete). No threading on that so I had to reduce to the size I needed for the toolrest insert with some steel fittings welded onto it.

They're both round at the bottom so if you had (HAD!) to roll them out of the way a good distance, you could. But you really don't want to if you can help it. On a good floor, there's very very little vibration felt either.

For further support, you could always setup a swingarm and brace from these to the lathe legs. It'd be more tied-in to the lathe that way but you'd want them low enough to not interfere with the spinning piece.

Just an option.

Last edited:
Read a post from one guy who pulled his second lathe up to the first and used the tool rest on it. This might work with a stand mounted mini if you've got one.

Dietrich

:cool2: Woodworkers supply (1-800-645-9292) has the Delta # 46-697 listed for $209.99. Still not cheap, but $100. less. Try e-bay, maybe? Or a GOOGLE search?
Aloha
Doug

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
A wierd idea maybe, but...

this would be a combination of Andrew's and Dietrich's idea--
Get a bed extension for the Jet Mini, at $55 and somehow fix it onto a heavy base, weighted with concrete. Then maybe you can use your existing banjo, if it fits on the mini bed--it should, if the clamp block fits below, or that wouldn't be too hard to make or buy from Jet.

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
dkulze said:
Read a post from one guy who pulled his second lathe up to the first and used the tool rest on it. This might work with a stand mounted mini if you've got one.

Dietrich

Come to think of it, one of my club member friends has a custom made 8' swing lathe where he uses an old (and massive!) drillpress stand/table (the drillpress head is gone) for the freestanding toolrest. He can adjust the height and position by moving the drillpress stands' table up/down and left/right then lock it in position. He did some welding to make a holder for the toolrests to slide into that's bolted onto the drillpress table. It's pretty blasted heavy but it has a very large footprint and is quite stable.

Yet another option.

Its a shame we cant get together. I have a new Delta stand that has been in my way for years. I now have another lathe and have no use for it. I think about e-bay but the shipping would be high I bet.

Ron

I really like your idea, Ken. I'm gonna remember that one for my new (old and used but much nicer) lathe. An extension or the bed off a junk lathe with a banjo and rest would make a great mobile stand.

Dietrich

Don't think I'd go the mini lathe extension route. You're going to be turning some hefty wood which translates to a lot of force being put on that stand and every piece in it. I'd have to question whether the cast iron from a mini lathe would hold up under that kind of stress. I'd sooner see steel used; especially since there will be welding needed to "rigidify" the stand and tool holder.

Mark

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm going to try to build one from a truck tire rim. I have the rim. I'm going to fill it with concrete. I've got most of the pieces just haven't had time to put them together. I need a couple of good sized pieces of steel to use for bracing and just haven't gone looking.

Another Idea

One thing I see a lot of stands made from around the farms is a used "disk". These can be found at farm machinery dealers and farms where one has worn out, you turn it with the curve up, weld a pipe on it and have a very stable stand. You can always sandbag it after it is in position for more stability.

Wilford

may go with vicmarc outboard extension

I appreciate all the input - excellent ideas. I did some poking around in the Woodturners catalog and took a peek at the vicmarc outboard extension. it uses an arm which attaches to the lathe. it's in two sections and has an elbow, allowing movement. tool stand runs through the end and is basically a pipe running to the floor. looks like it could take a lot of stress and don't think it would be too hard to adapt to my Jet. it's less than $300 plus $13 shipping.

Back