• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Flutes in bowls?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
There are ways to do it by machine but it's pretty envolved and quite expensive. I would do it by hand. You have much more control over the shape and flow of the flutes either convex or concave. It's more a matter of patience than skill although the more skill you have the easier it is. I would take lessons from the Master of this technique. John Jordan. Here is a link to his website which has some articles on this technique.
http://www.johnjordanwoodturning.com/John_Jordan_Woodturning/Tech_Articles.html

flutes in bowls

thanks for the replies.
i would like to do flutes in a spiral from the bottom outside to the top outside. probably also just straight up the side from bottom to top lip as well.
i will go take a look at the site you recommend.
thanks,
jess

You might want to check out Al Stirts' web site (Alstirt.com)
Click on Student Resources. If you ever get a chance to take
one of his classes, I would...
c

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Jess That is exactly what John Jordan teaches. The article on his website covers it pretty well. Doing it by hand you have total control of the shape of the flutes as well as the angle. This would be very difficult to do by machine.
there is a video out that describes in detail how to build a cable driven rig to cut spirals on turnings. I saw the video and home built version while attending the Ohio symposium. I don't remember who had it but can probably find out. It is a complicated build and you would need to be comfortable with some metal working skills to build this thing.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
John,

The cable system is by Jeff Salter.

I bought his DVD at the Ohio Symposium. I like the design and might build one some day.

Here's a clip that covers some of the scenes in his "Spiraling into Control" DVD.

The cable/router based jig is shown in the clip.

Much appreciated

You guys are great. I had no idea that there were so many options. Thank you so much for all of your help and input. Can't wait to give it a try. Might even try them all. Being here in Alaska it is expensive to go to classes in the "lower 48", so I usually go for the videos. Thanks again, Jess :D

Back