• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Foot on bottom 6 " round bowl

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
This is my "signature" style foot......you are welcome to copy it, if you'd like:
1220n1 curly claro walnut  (10).JPG1220n1 curly claro walnut  (6).JPG
Claro Walnut bowl is 5 3/4" x 2 7/8"
Bowl rests on outside ring of the foot. Everything inside that is recessed below the level of the outside ring.
Sequence is: Outside ring ---> cove ---> Interior flat surface with detail grooves.

-----odie-----

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Glen my wife pulled out some bowls to put on a shelf in our hallway. They all have slightly diffferent feet and around 6". I'll take a photo in a little while and post them. I don't know if I can find the 2 bowls I did that were exactly the same shape except for the feet. One had a foot and the other was just a concave area. If I find them I'll post that too.

This is my "signature" style foot......you are welcome to copy it, if you'd like:
View attachment 24376View attachment 24377
Claro Walnut bowl is 5 3/4" x 2 7/8"
Bowl rests on outside ring of the foot. Everything inside that is recessed below the level of the outside ring.
Sequence is: Outside ring ---> cove ---> Interior flat surface with detail grooves.

-----odie-----
You might be interested to know that Mike Mahoney does something similar on his hollowform urns. The difference is that the outer ring is turned as a bead.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
You might be interested to know that Mike Mahoney does something similar on his hollowform urns. The difference is that the outer ring is turned as a bead.

Interesting.......I guess if Mike Mahoney wants to copy my "signature foot", that would be ok with me. :D

-----odie-----

Go the Hawaiian way, no foot. We don't call them round bottom calabash for no reason, lol. Lots of my small bowls have no foot, in they vacuum chuck they go, and I take everything off. Aloha

Yes....so boring to have a vessel that sits flat

Go the Hawaiian way, no foot. We don't call them round bottom calabash for no reason, lol. Lots of my small bowls have no foot, in they vacuum chuck they go, and I take everything off. Aloha
It is fun turning the round bottom, but it is also very much an experience doing other styles for variety. I usually decide based on the wood and use of the vessel.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm working on a big Calabash, almost done, and I did a little cereal bowl today, no foot, just a small indentation, and of course, the calabash, perfectly round.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    423.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 44
Website
www.facebook.com
There are many ways of a foot on the bottom of a turned item from those with a foot to those with out but if you want it to be stable having the concaved centre so that it sits in effect on a ring which keeps it stable and not rock unless you are turning something like Emiliano example above.
You can even go with carving away part of the ring to form small feet which I personally find is best done having three as it will not get any wobble if the bowl moves

I'm working on a big Calabash, almost done, and I did a little cereal bowl today, no foot, just a small indentation, and of course, the calabash, perfectly round.

In your 1st photo it appears to me this is a crotch piece not split but whole log......if this is correct.....do you Hawaiian often do that so you have a crack to repair.....or because y'all have many bowls 50 & 100 years old there are repaired cracks?????

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
In your 1st photo it appears to me this is a crotch piece not split but whole log......if this is correct.....do you Hawaiian often do that so you have a crack to repair.....or because y'all have many bowls 50 & 100 years old there are repaired cracks?????
Both, lol.. it’s a traditional type of calabash, you can see in the ancient ones the 2 branches, just like this one... The local buyer that spends thousands in one of these expects several pewa repairs...

Both, lol.. it’s a traditional type of calabash, you can see in the ancient ones the 2 branches, just like this one... The local buyer that spends thousands in one of these expects several pewa repairs...

I did not realize about the 2 branches or crotch pieces.....cool

Back