• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

footed turning

This is my first footed turning. There doesn't seem to be many footed turnings done. I am looking for feedback on what you think of this piece. Any thing from overall form, finish or any other comments. Maple with WOP finish, 5" wide and 4" tall about 1/4" thick. I didn't buff. I am looking to learn and improve my skills, so need the bad with the good.
Please comment and let me know what you think.

IMG_0792.JPG IMG_0793.JPG image2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 4
Very nice- both the wood itself and the WOP. First time I have seen a three footed turning.
All my turnings are two footed- both of them on the floor. :rolleyes:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Pretty sweet Bill. The one thing to pay attention to is how the bowl flows into the feet or in some cases flows around the feet. when making the decision to add feet you have to decide, do I want them to appear to be stuck on, or do I want them to flow out of the bowl like you did on this one. Kind of depends on the shape of the bowl and what kind of feet you want. Good job on this one.

I really appreciate all the responses, it helps me a lot. This was how I thought the feet should look on this piece, but wasn't sure.
John, I'm guessing you are talking about a larger flatter bottom when you say "feet stuck on". Does it depend more on the bottom shape? I'm thinking of a larger cherry NE, so I'll need to look at some to decide on how the feet should look. not sure I get the "stuck on", but have seen some images where the feet were actually stuck on. Wasn't my style.

Back