footed turning

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by William Rogers, Sep 11, 2017.

1. William Rogers

William Rogers

This is my first footed turning. There doesn't seem to be many footed turnings done. I am looking for feedback on what you think of this piece. Any thing from overall form, finish or any other comments. Maple with WOP finish, 5" wide and 4" tall about 1/4" thick. I didn't buff. I am looking to learn and improve my skills, so need the bad with the good.
    Please comment and let me know what you think.

IMG_0792.JPG IMG_0793.JPG image2.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

William,

Nice looking piece! The transition to the feet looks great!

3. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    Nice work. Three footed bowls are not rare everywhere

When someone like Dave Barriger demos them at the area clubs they become more common.

4. John Torchick

John Torchick

Very nice- both the wood itself and the WOP. First time I have seen a three footed turning.
    All my turnings are two footed- both of them on the floor. :rolleyes:

5. Lamar Wright

Lamar Wright

Hi William, I think the feet on your piece looks great! Very artistic piece. Happy turning!

6. john lucas

john lucas

Pretty sweet Bill. The one thing to pay attention to is how the bowl flows into the feet or in some cases flows around the feet. when making the decision to add feet you have to decide, do I want them to appear to be stuck on, or do I want them to flow out of the bowl like you did on this one. Kind of depends on the shape of the bowl and what kind of feet you want. Good job on this one.

7. William Rogers

William Rogers

I really appreciate all the responses, it helps me a lot. This was how I thought the feet should look on this piece, but wasn't sure.
    John, I'm guessing you are talking about a larger flatter bottom when you say "feet stuck on". Does it depend more on the bottom shape? I'm thinking of a larger cherry NE, so I'll need to look at some to decide on how the feet should look. not sure I get the "stuck on", but have seen some images where the feet were actually stuck on. Wasn't my style.