• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

For further reading

I started reading this (and other turning) forums about a year ago, mostly lurking very seldom contributing. I just don't have much that is new to offer. When I open up the forum I get the latest page of topics/threads and read what is new since I was last on, I suspect this is a common MO. Yesterday I had read everything new and had some time to kill and wanted more to read. At the bottom of the index page is a list of pages the last of which is 414 so I went to that one, took me back to year 2004. What a treat. I now read the newest posts and then go back to the earliest (highest numbered) page, starting with 414, I am now on 407. The topics are very familiar but mostly different contributors though some of the names in 2004 are still around.

I am sure many/most of you already knew this, but for those of you who have not made this discovery I wanted to share.
-bruce

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It's good to hear that members are finding the older threads interesting and informative. I suppose it's true that the more things change the more they stay the same. While many topics have been discussed multiple times, there really isn't any such thing as the final word as woodturning evolves ... there are new participants, new perspectives, new tools, and new methods and at the same time there are time invariant axioms. There is also the the aspect of sharing and connecting with other turners. I discovered the AAW forum in 2005 when I was fairly new to turning and it has been an invaluable resource in my woodturning development.

Back