• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Freestanding Outboard Turning Tool Rest

Looking for plans or purchase of freestanding outboard turning tool rest. Running a Jet 1642 and trying to swing over 16" of material. Believe that I want a free standing rest.

Wanting to know pros and cons of freestanding versus those attached to the lathe. Looking for sources or home made plans

I expolored this very option for my 1642 - from buying the $600 outboard stand that Jet offers, to making one. I finally settled on adapting a Vicmarc outboard tool rest to the Jet - which proved to be the simplest, most affordable and stable solution. You'll find a thread on this forum in regards to that project, complete with pictures and the specs needed to make the adaptation.
The Vicmarc rig costs $285 plus shipping (Craft Supplies stocks it) and, when mounted to the Jet, is rock solid. The advantage is only one leg goes to the floor - so you don't have to worry about leveling a tripod or having to work around three legs which protrude out. to adapt the Vicmarc, you only have to drill and tap four holes into the Jet's legs to hold the mounting bracket. Been using it for six months without a flaw. Took all of two hours to set up. Also, I supplied Craft Supplies with the pictures and specs, in case they had an inquiry of how to adapt it to the Jet. Good luck!

Making your own free-standing tool rest.

I made my own free-standing tool rest. Here is how I did it. I went to the plumbing supply store and bought a piece of 2" black pipe and a flange, not the threaded kind. I had the store thread one end. Then I went to the tire store and asked if they had any trashed rims. They had a real nice Caddy rim that I got for free. I got a piece of 1/4" plate (scrap from a machine shop, free) which a friend welded to the inisde of Caddy rim. The bottom of the black pipe got welded to the 1/4" plate and then the flange was slipped over the pipe that was sticking out of the axle hole and wielded to both the pipe and the rim. I filled the pipe and the rim with concrete and #7 lead shot (about 75lbs of shot I had laying around). I purchased a top to the pipe from John Nichols (of the Nichols lathe fame). I screwed it on to the top of the pipe as tight as I could get it with a large pipe wrench. Once that was locked into place I wielded three nuts on the rim so that it would be a tripod, this is easier that trying to get the circle of the rim to not wobble on an uneven concrete floor. Pay attention to the location so that the tool rest lines up with one of the legs of the triangle that the nuts make. I think that the total cash outlay was under 50.00$. As I recall it was under 15.00 for the pipe and flange, and about 35.00 - 40.00 for the tool rest top that John made. With the concrete steel and lead I think my tool rest wieghs in the neighborhood of 300lbs. It works very well.

Kindest regards,
Bill Zerby

I have a Jet 1642 with a Vicmarc attachment too.

It has been really stable and non obtrusive. I followed the plans set forth above in installing it (straight foward) and have enjoyed a solid out board attachment. this weekend I have been shaping a 20" round salad bowl with no tail stock (on the outboard) and have had no shaking or rattling of lathe nor outboard. Like I said - very stable. Yes it was about 285.00 but so well worth it. Shaping a rough 20" round beast is hard enough with all the bings and bams of the gouge to the ELM wood- I didn't need any extra stress making sure the tool rest would stay still.

God Speed (just stay under 3200 rpms :)

Gran,
I just finished working in the shop for the day and took a few pictures of the tool rest and the lathe I use it on. I think they went into my gallery. Somehow I think they made it to the main post too. You will need to contact John Nichols to get the top piece. A little fore-thought will ensure that you get the thing built to the right height. I set mine so that with the tool rest all the way down in the tool post the top of the tool rest is about 1" below centerline of my lathe. This is necessary to account for the thickness of your tools, particularly the scrapers that need to be able to reach the centerline of your bowl.
Kindest regards,

Bill

Free standiing toolrest.

Gran,
Thanks to Jeffery Jelig I was able to upload larger photographs of the freestanding toolrest I made. If you have any questions please feel free to call me. My contact information is in the AAW membership book.

Kindest regards,
Bill

Back