• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Friction Polish

Is Mylands Friction Polish food safe?

What do you recomend for a foodsafe finish for bowls?

Thank you,

Bob

According to Russ Fairfield in his "Finishing Secrets" 3 disk video set, all finishes are food safe after they have gassed off. When fully dry and no longer giving off an odor, they are safe for food use.

However, I am not sure about the overall durability of a friction polish. I know that a pen and other small objects I have turned look greatest first but lose ther shine quickly.

I think that a salad bowl finish would give a high gloss that will last.

Salid bowl finish. Rockler and most other places have it.
Wallnut oil can be questionable since some people are sensitive to nuts.

I agree with Joe friction polish just don't last.IMO an oil finish is best for salad bowls as it is easy to reapply if needed and will let the oils from your salads soak in.

Back