• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fumigation???

I have a question.

I have much wood from many places and have noticed the odd bug here and there in the workshop.

Is there any reliable way to rif myself of these without messing up the rest of the house in the process?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don.

Don,

Absent kiln-drying to 180* or better (which is generally accepted, but not guaranteed to kill most everything in there) I've taken part in this subject on several sites recently. Although I've not tried it, several have written about using a vacuum pump, either from the lathe or as in veneering clamping, with the object wood in a sealed bag that is held at high vacuum, 25" hg or so, for several days. Several other suggestions involved using the vacuum and then "replacing the atmosphere" in the bag with CO2 (by dry ice) or CO (by some means other than your car's tailpipe) or pure nitrogen.

I would think that just a reasonably hard vacuum for three days would be sufficient. In the meantime, I strongly suggest that you get that wood out of your house before you find the place coming down around your ears. Won't bode well for domestic relations if SWMBO :mad: finds out that the bug that ate her house came from your shop; not well at all. :eek:

Mark

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Sundance
We've always been pet crazy and occasionally have flea problems. A bug bomb has always taken care of the critters. Whether or not it would work on the kind that come from wood I don't know. You do have to leave the house for a day and clean "all" the dishes etc. I haven't died from it yet.
It apparently has the side effect of making you want to buy lathes. I think that's about the time I got my first one and now have 7 if you count the dremel lathe and the spring pole lathe.

Bug bombs are a little on the poisonous side, specially if you're gonna be turning it into dust later and inhaling it. I'm a big supporter of putting it in a garbage bag with a couple of pieces of dry ice and leaving it for a week. CO2 is amazingly poisonous in concentrations a couple of times more than atmospheric(anybody know the numbers?).

Dietrich

Website
www.hiltonhandcraft.com
sundance said:
I have a question.

I have much wood from many places and have noticed the odd bug here and there in the workshop.

Is there any reliable way to rif myself of these without messing up the rest of the house in the process?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don.
If all you are seeing is an "odd bug here and there" then I wouldn't be too concerned. If, however, you are seeing a bunch of them or are hearing them or seeing new holes, or powder being deposited from their actions, then you should consider doing something.

The cheap and fairly easy route for a good pile of wood that you don't want to handle on a piece-by-piece basis is to just set off a bug bomb like you would in the house. These are more or less safe when used according to their directions and, being that, aren't terribly effective. They'll help a little and that might be all that you need.

A better alternative is to hire the services of an insect and bug exterminator. Tell them your situation and they'll do what they can to help you out. Most likely, they'll spray, etc. the area and the wood. There's some risk of working that wood in the future but then you might be VERY surprised just how much of the wood we come into contact with everyday, and especially as woodworkers/woodturners, has been fumigated, instecticided, and treated to the hilt. The vast majority carries no consumer-level information about that either.

If you want to treat this wood on a piece by piece basis, then I can recommend two approaches to that as well.

One being to dry it. Dry wood helps (but certainly doesn't always stop already infected or aquiring infection later) to deter many bugs. Of course, there are those bugs that just love dry wood too. For wood that you suspect to be bug ridden, you can, using various methods such as a solar kiln, kitchen oven, microwave or whatever else you want, raise that core temperature of the piece of wood to around 135F for about 30 minutes. This is, or at least most likely will become one of the major ways of EU certifying wood in the near future since the use of methyl bromide is going away.

Of course, the use of methyl bromide is more than what you want to get into (believe me!), it's been the standard for many years here in the USA, especially for exporting wood products, and most industrialized countries in the world. It's going away here in the USA so we're looking for alternatives and the heating mentioned above is one of several. We've been using methyl bromide on our logs that we don't want to dry (so, no kilns at my stage for these particular products) but are having to look at alternatives ... heat being not one of them, unfortunately. I have to keep the bugs away from this wood product or otherwise I won't be able to sell it.

The problem with the heating is one of getting things too hot. For normal drying operations of hardwoods (not trying to kill bugs as mentioned above), I don't let my solar kilns get above 125F, at most. Sure, it'll dry the wood out faster as you increase the temperature beyond this and kill the bugs but it'll also likely introduce worse problems than some bugs ... at least to your wood stash. You'll get all kinds of drying defects that won't show up till you start working that wood. I could dry out a lot of wood in just a week if I just let my solar kilns "go at it" in the summertime. But the resulting wood would be useless. So, if you use the heat/drying methods, just realize that you may be trading one problem with another.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
depending on the type of wood you have, the intended use for the finished product and the type of critter, you can see there are multiple ways to accomplish this.

One method used here on Mesquite is to dip the log in mineral spirits. Don't know if it is food safe, but that is a whole 'nother argument here.

This may be a really hard way to do it but it has worked for me. We once had a bunch of oak that had been air-dried for several years but inherited some sort of rare oak borers in it according to my local exterminator. His only suggestion was to freeze it. Since we live in Florida :cool2: just waiting for winter wasn't really much of an option, it just dosn't get much below 32 for more than a few hours on rare nights. I put the smaller pieces in our home chest-type freezer for a week or so. I managed to sneak the bigger pieces into the walk-in freezer at the school I teach in during a break (I wouldn't suggest this when the health inspector is likely to show up). I realize this may harm some types of green wood, and some bugs may just hibernate, but it sure worked great for me.

Ray

I will have to try the dry ice in a bag on mesquite worms.
The only thing that has worked for me in the past has been a week in the freezer. I tried the microwave, bug bomb in a large bag, and spraying the losgs with insectcide. The only thing that worked was the freezer.

Back