• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Getting new bandsaw; need help with power requirements

I am planning to purchase my first band saw and need assistance in determining which one to get. I will be using it to cut logs for bowl blanks for turning, plus wood for scroll sawing, plus whatever else appeals over time. I have been reading various articles and web sites to make an informed purchase. I plan to spend in the $1000 range or slightly more. The band saws that have popped to the top of the list include: Rikon 10-325, Powermatic PWBS-14CS, Grizzly G0457, Grizzly G0555X, and Laguna 14SUV.

The issue I want to address in this thread is the power requirements for operating these band saws, and whether they would be safe to operate on my new dedicated power lines.

The Rikon 10-325 1.5 HP manual says it needs 14/7 amps at 115/230 volts and requires a 20 amp circuit. The Powermatic manual says it requires a 30 amp circuit and breaker, but indicates the motor is 11/5.5 amps at 115/230 volts and is prewired for 115 volts which would require a different unspecified plug (appears to be either a NEMA 6-15 or 6-30). The Grizzly G0457 is prewired for 220 volts with full-load current rating of 9.5 amps at 220 volts with plug type 6-15 at 220 volts. No info for Grizzly G055X. The Laguna 14SUV requires 220 volts with 30 amp breaker, but the NEMA plug type is not identified.

I have just wired my workshop (aka garage and storage bin) to have one new dedicated 115 volt 15 amp circuit plus one new dedicated 230 volt 15 amp circuit (has two 15 amp breakers) (both are only 15 feet in length). These are in addition to an existing 15 amp 115 volt line that provides power in the garage and is shared with other things like lights, etc. The new additional 15 amp circuit will be shared by other woodworking tools and used one at a time. The 15 amp 230 volt circuit only has one receptacle and will require the plugs to be changed if I use machines which require 230 volts, like the Craftex CT128N lathe I already have.

My questions is:

Could I use the new dedicated 230 volt circuit with 15 amp breakers to safely power all of the band saws identified above? Would this be a problem with the band saws that specify higher amp breakers like the Rikon (20 amp), Powermatic (30 amp) and Laguna (30 amp)?

I bought the GO55X with riser. This is the worst tool purchase I ever made. I can't say anything positive about it except it seems to have a lot of power.

Look to the wire gauges. If your breaker is lower than your wiring is capable of transmitting, upgrade the breaker to prevent running back to the box on resets. The breaker should never be higher than the wire rating, because that's what it's designed to protect.

If you're a one man shop, running one machine at a time, you can survive having as few circuits as you have. I can only speculate on the various manufacturers' recommendations. Nothing I see justifies more breaker than the continuous rating. Initial voltage draws of 100-or even 200% more than rated are not uncommon, and the breakers can tolerate them for a short period.

Not sure how much CEC standards differ from the NEC. You'd follow the former, and building/insurance codes. http://www.ehow.com/list_7683748_differences-code-national-electrical-code.html

I also have the GO555X it comes prewired for 110 and I concur with the other post I would not buy another one.I did upgrade the tensioner and guides so it works good now but with the extra expense I could have gotten the PM. As for your power MM is on the mark if you have #12 wire you can upgrade the breaker so any of them will work. If was going to buy a new saw I would go with the PM has tensioner I upgraded to and 5 year warranty and they have great cust service.I have heard too many bad things about Laguna to ever buy anything from them (customer service wise) and the Rikon I have no experience with.
[

Last edited:
Regarding wire gauges, my 220 volt circuit has #12 AWG and is about 15 feet in length. I believe 12 AWG is good up to 20 amps, so I could change the breakers to 20 amps which would math the manufacturer receive. For some of the bandsaw.

Yes, I have a one man shop, so the power should be okay, as long as I do not overload an individual circuit (eg with an electric heater during the winter).

What has me confused is the continuous power rating at 220 volts that some manufacturers specify which is lower than their recommended amps for the circuit.

So it seems that my 220 volt 15 amp circuit should be okay for any bandsaw that has a continuous rating that is less than 15 amps. If the initial current draw does exceed the breaker for a short period, all should be okay. If the breaker trips often, then I would have to upgrade to 20 amp breakers, or rewire the circuit.

I also have the GO555X it comes prewired for 110 and I concur with the other post I would not buy another one.I did upgrade the tensioner and guides so it works good now but with the extra expense I could have gotten the PM. As for your power MM is on the mark if you have #12 wire you can upgrade the breaker so any of them will work. If was going to buy a new saw I would go with the PM has tensioner I upgraded to and 5 year warranty and they have great cust service.I have heard too many bad things about Laguna to ever buy anything from them (customer service wise) and the Rikon I have no experience with.
[

Thanks Mark for your comments. The PM looks good at this time except for the 30 amp circuit issue.

Website
jpseyfried.com
My questions is:

Could I use the new dedicated 230 volt circuit with 15 amp breakers to safely power all of the band saws identified above? Would this be a problem with the band saws that specify higher amp breakers like the Rikon (20 amp), Powermatic (30 amp) and Laguna (30 amp)?

No! And the breaker needs to be a singe-throw 2 pole breaker (mechanically connected) of the required amps not 2 separate ones for the 220 circuit.

I would go with the manufactures recommendations, full load amps and or starting amps could easily require the larger circuits.

30 amp circuits require at least #10 awg .

No! And the breaker needs to be a singe-throw 2 pole breaker (mechanically connected) of the required amps not 2 separate ones for the 220 circuit.

I would go with the manufactures recommendations, full load amps and or starting amps could easily require the larger circuits.

30 amp circuits require at least #10 awg .

This would make sense but if you read PM's manual they show a 15 amp plug for the 110 hookup and the wire gages they recommend for extension cords makes even less sense this is where I get confused.

Website
jpseyfried.com
This would make sense but if you read PM's manual they show a 15 amp plug for the 110 hookup and the wire gages they recommend for extension cords makes even less sense this is where I get confused.

I looked at the PM manual for the 14" bandsaw and it shows 15 amp plugs for both 110v and 220v operation. With the 11/5.5 amp draw listed you would be safe with a 15 amp circuit. I couldn't find where it recommended a 30 amp circuit. I see what you mean on the extension cord listing; perhaps something got lost in translating. I wouldn't want the voltage drop from a 100' 14 awg extension cord, I think it would be hard on the motor.

bandsaw

I have the PM PWBS 14 with a 6" riser connected to a dedicated 20 amp (12ga wire) circuit and have never tripped the breaker. I switched the light over so it uses 110v from one leg (no expensive 220v bulb needed) and have a duplex plug added to the other leg that I use to power a shop vac for dust control. A small issue required a call to their customer service group which in my experience is the best in the industry. No regrets with this purchase.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
The wiring question is not a big issue, if you don't try to run big HP motors on low amperage circuits. I wired my shop with 20A wiring and breakers...much better than 15A circuits. Although my lighting is on a 15A circuit.

I bought a G0555 (not the X version) several years ago, with a riser block, and am VERY happy with it. Even though it only is rated at 1 HP, with a sharp blade, it will cut anything I throw at it.

Hi Dick, I am new to this forum and would like to ask you what blades you are using. My local supplier for band saw blades stopped selling blades and it’s hard to find good quality blades at a very reasonable price. Whilst I was lurking to other forum sites, I found this site that sells blades – www.sawblade.com. Their price looks really good for my budget and I would like to ask you on how you view the quality of their blades. Have you tried this brand? Heard about their blades?

Back